Customs payment

You have no idea what administrative process might have preceded the issue of the demand though... The "computer generated" aspeect is really of no consequence, though I can imagine your views if you'd received a demand painted onto vellum and delivered by a courier on a horse, weeks or months hence... ;-)

Have you never seen any of the TV programmes showing C&E staff dealing with the mountains of parcels in a depot, investigating some... Why would you expect it to be quick? Surley they have a stack of stuff to work through.

A week strikes me as pretty reasonable. Remember, it's you who chose to buy something from another country.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

The amount of time it takes to get through a given amount of work depends on the number of men on the job.

This was something collected by UPS from a well known (to them) supplier with all the correct paperwork. I can understand something sent by a individual requiring investigation, though.

I get similar things sent from China which come with free (inclusive) postage and don't take any longer door to door.

Perhaps illicit drugs and bombs etc only come from the US?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the number of staff that can economically be employed depends pretty much entirely on what the customer is prepared to pay for the service. Are you miffed becasuse they wouldn't let you pay MORE ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No I chose digikey.co.uk they didn;t have it in stock so shipped it from the USA, so it came from teh USA and not through the digkey UK distributor. If it had gone through them as it should have digikey UK would be responsible for paying the VAT and adding it to the cost of teh device like they had on their site, I ordered it from UK not USA.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's true of any government.

Reply to
Capitol

They collected from me some 70 quid for what amounts to no more than the waft of a code reader in practice.

I take it you'd be happy queueing up for more than a week at a supermarket checkout just for the privilege of paying?

Do you *really* think it ok that something can be sent from the US in a couple of days total, but takes more than a week to be delivered after entering the UK?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did you pay an inc VAT price in sterling?

If so, then get onto digikey asap, because you've double-paid the VAT.

Reply to
Adrian

What high service charge and for what service? Customs can take their time, you have no contract with them requiring that your item be prioritised, or even done this year.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Different carriers provide different levels of agreement, so perhaps best to choose one that can fast track a package through customs.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Sadly, there seems to be little choice in the US. Or rather with the firms I deal with. If there were, I'd have chosen a cheaper option. And then not moaned about the time taken. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I've ordered from DigiKey, I've ordered on day N and it's always been delivered on day N+2 (modulo weekends). Just pay VAT (and nothing else at all) on delivery.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'd like to know how much they got for it at auction. I guess eBay doesn't allow things like that?

Reply to
Adam Funk

You can arrange a UK based carrier to organise a pickup etc. I've not experienced the delays that have been conjectured in this thread.

Reply to
Fredxxx