CU unit location? any rules on whats permitted or not?

I'm moving my CU from a bedroom to the hall way.

The only suitable location is above a doorway, so CU is at a height of

2m. Nowhere else is suitable due to the stairs and the front door..

Is that allowed by regs or not?

Reply to
Stephen H

It's what I've done, for the same reason.

It would probably not be allowed in a new build under building regs Part M, but Part M is largly non applicable to existing domestic dwellings.

Don't worry about it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Though if it's 2m up, that could tend to mean it's more than 3m from the meter, and therefore you may be required to fit a switchfuse to protect the tails.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In my case, it made it *closer* to the meter (as the tails went over the top of the wallplate/under the eaves). That's why I chose that location. Oh - and the CU would be under a bit of dead-space (but accessible) in the attic, and thus a good place to bring lots of cables up.

Reply to
Tim Watts