Crimps, heat shrink and phase/earth shorts - wtf?!

Just finished a day of rewiring the lights circuit in the kitchen - not finished the whole lot yet, but the main lights are done.

Test it. Short between phase and earth. Arghhh. Track it down to a section of cable with a crimp in. Hmmm. Cut out crimp, short disappears. Remove the heatshrink, inspect cable. Can't find anything wrong.

Pull through some slack, remake crimp. No short. Get the hairdryer out, and shrink the heat-shrink around the sheath. Short reappears.

It's not a dead short - it's 43ohms. I'm inclined to leave it overnight and see what I measure in the morning....

Any ideas what's going on?!

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:45:43 +0100, Ben Blaukopf mused:

Would this be 3 crimps on a twin and earth all encapsulated in one piece of heat shrink? If so, when you crimp the crimp there's not much left of the insulation on it as you've just flattened it. I always insulate the crimps individually before applying an overal insulation to prevent this.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Ben Blaukopf writes

You're definitely not heating the cable up to the point where wire melts within the jacketed area?

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Nope. I completely disassembled the first one, and there was no sign of any damage whatsoever.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

That's the one. I'll remake it with individual insulation. I guess heating it up is just tipping it over the edge.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:15:03 +0100, Lurch mused:

Also heating it up won't help the minimal amounts of insulation left.

Reply to
Lurch

Fit a heatsink and let it dissipate 1.5KW

Reply to
dom

More seriously, maybe the real partial-short is nearby and breaking/ remaking the join just disturbed it a bit?

Reply to
dom

It's definitely the crimp - it's about 4 cable clips to anything else of note.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

That's the other puzzling thing. I powered up the circuit, expecting the crimp to get very hot very quickly. It didn't.

But it is definitely the crimp that's the problem. I chopped it out without disturbing anything else - problem solved, on both sides of the break.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

In article , Lurch writes

Where's part Pee come into this?...

Reply to
tony sayer

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:19:37 +0100, tony sayer mused:

Dunno. Why should part p be an issue?

Reply to
Lurch

In article , Lurch writes

Electrix in a Kitchen?....

Reply to
tony sayer

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:48:06 +0100, tony sayer mused:

Who said the crimps were in the kitchen?

Reply to
Lurch

Well I did say I was rewiring the kitchen lights.

Tony, I have only one thing to say. SNB.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:17:04 +0100, Ben Blaukopf mused:

I know, which is why I doubted that the crimps would actually be in the kitchen, but who cares where they are anyway, as long as they connnected properly.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , tony sayer writes

Page 974 paragraph 5.

"Only persons authorised by the government may hold an operational heat gun in the vicinity of a pudding joint, and only for as long as it takes to shrink the sleeve without melting all the rest of the plastic"

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

What brand of crimps are you using? Must admit to never having seen this happen before.

I take it you are running the wires insulation into the edge of the crimp so there is no visible ring of copper at the junction?

The other thing to do is to stagger the crimps (i.e. each wire a different length) so that they do not overlap. That also gives a neater join with less bulk.

Reply to
John Rumm

SNB?..

Just wonder if that poxy part P affected this work or not as I'm being lumbered into doing the same..

Very, very, odd the original problem. Can you put up a photo or two of the joint for all to see?...

Reply to
tony sayer

It's a cam.misc ref; you replied to my original post about Part P and Cambridge BCOs on cam.misc. What I meant was "Do I have to prefix every post I make with 'This work has been notified to the BCO'"

Since you ask, it alters a kitchen circuit, so yes it does come under it.

I'll take some photos of it when I strip it out - won't be till tomorrow evening.

Resistance is up from 43 ohms to 60 ohms after leaving it overnight.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf