Creaking Ali Extension Ladder

How do you stop it creaking?

I guess it's just stiction in the joints between the treads and rails.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

WD-40 of course!

Reply to
newshound

Avoid climbing it! :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Fewer calories ?

Reply to
Andrew

Bang a conical wedge into the ends of the rungs to tighten them.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No ordinary two section sliding extension ladder.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chap down the road put the ladder on its side, one section at a time, then gently peened out the end of the rungs to remove play. Silenced it and re-rigidified (Bushism) it.

Reply to
PeterC

Stop shovelling so much food into your mouth.

None of mine creak.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

The rungs aren't round but a reuleaux triangle with rounded points. A conical wedge would tighten the centers of each side to the outside of the box section rail.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Tempted, it has to be useful for something.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If my aluminium ladder creaked I'd replace it pdq.

Reply to
Cynic

There used to be a kind of dry lubricant that used to work for ally, Not sure what it was called but very laborious to apply as I recall.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Why?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Personally, in case it unzips into a collection of short and a couple of long pieces of aluminium. Even one rung giving way could be embarrasing.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Its not going to do that just because its creaking.

Its not going to do that just because its creaking.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

Ali ladders don't do that. Wooden ones can, but only in extremis. Creaking is normal with ali ladders. If you're worried just test it with some excess weight.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's exactly what I meant. I just used fewer words.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes they usually are, although sometimes with one face flat. Make a wedge the right shape. This does work. I've had to do it countless times in my half century of TV aerial installation!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No, waste of money. The test is to fully extend the ladder and assess how much it deflects when you climb it. Also is there significant sideways bending?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That doesn't happen. Ever.