Cracked stair tread

Grab adhesive like no more nails is totally unsuitable, it wont run into cracks. Epoxy is an excellent glue, but most formulations are too thick to run fully into the crack. You can get very thin epoxy, it woudl be ideal but you wont have it in stock.

50/50 diluted pva would run in - but you then need to clamp the thing up while it sets. That can be done by screwing into the top of the non- nose section to permit clamping. PVA wont work if an open gap is left.

Another option is to trim out a ltitle wood to enable metal strips to be sunk in flush and screwed down. The result would be less stong than gluing.

NT

Reply to
NT

Assuming that his stairs were similarly constructed, a couple of screws angled out towards the wedges should do the trick, I'd say.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It might pull the wedge tight against the tread, but then away from the rebate in the string... you may be able to screw it partly in, then tap it toward the back of the tread (to force the wedge forward) before finally driving it home - pinning the wedge in place.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just to feedback, I wasn't able to get my hands on a router - I don't own one and I wasn't able to borrow one. I didn't feel hiring one was worth it - it's not *that* much to gain. I tried screwing a batten to the back piece and pulling it towards the nose piece (or pushing the nose backwards) either way, neither of the two pieces were moving.

In the end, I put some floor screws through the tread into the riser, as it sounds like the front piece was the main culprit. As it happens, it was and the creaking has stopped. Obviously the split is still in the tread, I just hope this won't be a problem.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and ideas.

Reply to
Steve