covered passageway

I wonder if I'll get any response to this one?

My daughter wishes to have the 1.5m wide passageway between her house wall and single storey garage covered in with some clear corrugated PVC.

The problem is that the passageway slopes down and the garage has a pent roof sloping down to the rear also. I wish to shed rain onto the garage roof to avoid extra guttering.

So do I fix a 100x50mm timber to the house and level with the brickwork and fix a similar piece of timber set off from the garage wall and kept parallel with the timber on the house by having a sloping up stand with allowance for cross fall.

or

Fix the timber on the house but sloping with the slope of the garage roof

or

Have the house side timber parallel with the brickwork and the garage timber following the slope of the garage roof and force the corrugated PVC sheets into a helical skew

AJH

Reply to
news

clear as mud.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I would fix the timber on the house but sloping with the slope of the garage roof. With an additional slope to the garage roof for water discharge.

It would look silly otherwise.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Either way, its a recipe for disaster this sheeting tends to go brittle and crack a lot after a few years, add some wind or strong draught and its gone.

How long inns the walkway? I've seen kind of straight awnings and some neoprene sheet fitted at one or both ends where the thing is skewed before. Looks a bit rubbish though, I have to say. Maybe buy her an umbrella forChristmas? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Depends on the sheeting and environment. I did have some standard Wickes clear corrugated over a hay store and this only lasted a few years (but small branches used to fall on it from large nearby trees, and it saw a lot of wind). I have just replaced it with industrial/farming grade fibreglass which should last much longer.

I certainly would not try to install it twisted. In my case, it drained on to a pitched roof sloping towards the "corridor" so the supporting purlins were horizontal. In your case I would incline towards tilted purlins assuming the angle is not too large.

Reply to
newshound

Yes this is the conclusion I was coming to.

I have the clear PVC corrugated over a lean to conservatory, the first sheets lasted over 30 years till I replaced them 2 years ago, new ones seem fine.

AJH

Reply to
news

+1 :)
Reply to
GB

I have used both corrugated and twin wall polycarbonate for our temporary shed thingy for many years. The polycarbonate is much better - stronger, less noisy. I assume insulation isn't important?

One advantage of the corrugated is that you can overlap the joints. You can do that with polycarbonate, too, but it looks v odd.

Reply to
GB

Yes and if there is not much fall you can overlap two corrugations, else a small obstruction will cause water to back up enough to seep past the overlap.

It's also very cheap.

AJH

Reply to
news

Beyond a certain point it is probably less hassle to fit the extra guttering.

Less need to follow the profile of the garage roof precisely and no problems with rain water splashing back into the passage.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

and no one wants rain water in their back passage that's what Bidet's are for. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

You can get joining strips

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

It also looks cheap. Twin walled polycarbonate is strong and resistant to wind damage.

As Jonathan has said you can get jointing strips.

Reply to
Fredxxx

+1
Reply to
newshound

Except it requires guttering, brackets and pipes, assuming there you can use the garage drainage.

There is that, but I would follow the slope of the garage to reduce the open air gap and the effect from wind in the passage way.

Reply to
Fredxxx

This is a temporary cover until the kids grow up, after which garage will be demolished for an extension.

AJH

Reply to
news

But at least he got an answer (he always wondered.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer