Couple of quick electrical questions - lubrication and disposal

On shrouded pin plugs, they are quite easy to twist with pliers IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's not a new phenomenon. I acquired a Revox A77 Mk1 for very good price when it's owner discoved a Mk2 had just come out. That was in 1969. I still have the machine & it's in working order

Reply to
charles

The BG one of those I bought recently is simply a normal (indoor) socket in a waterproof (ish) box.

Reply to
charles

What's it made of that works as a lubricant but doesn't interfere with conduction?

Reply to
Adam Funk

If someone pulls the cable and the appliance is on a scrape tip this might mean the whole thing topples on you. Same reasonn you don;t leave a non working car for kids to play with. Just because something doesn't work it doesn't mean theres no danger. It also means someone doesn't try to rewire it by twisting the cable together and taping it up in the hope thatt it will work.

It does for space saving and I tend to reuse the individual conductors rather than reuse the mains cable.

I may need the fuse in something else if it's not 13amp which I do normally leave in the plug. And I have a bag of about 50 of them anyway.

Reply to
whisky-dave

As our local tips accept Fridges and TVs into specific cages, other large appliances into dedicated, large skips and small appliances into yet other skips, I'd only cut the lead off if I want it for something.

and

Two different sources and sites, simply because I could not quickly find two pictures of the same site, but almost all in the borough are similar.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I also usually do it on faulty stuff like fridges, freezers, etc.. as I'm less likely to trip over them when carrying them down the stairs or anywhere. I also find it a pain to wrap the cables around the items and then they too get tangled together.

Well yes but I do find it more difficult to carry such items with trailng leads wrapping around my feet, or getting in the sack barrow wheels.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Prayer mat mis-aligned ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Unlike the magnetic tapes that have gone all sticky :-(

Reply to
Andrew

if such items are disposed at the local council-run amenity tip, then removing items from the cages or skips is physically difficult and almost certain to be noticed by the staff, who will chuck you out (without the items)

Reply to
Andrew

240 volts will get through most lubricants when there is mechanical connection between pin and socket. Might get a bit smoky if you are running a 3Kw heater though.
Reply to
Andrew

Because I'm not a bullshiter and you are is the reason.

No they don't have a clue they just think they do. A bit like Trump being an expert on covid-19, the enviroment, and counting votes.

But most try to reduce dangers when they are easy to reduce.

I don't want to make it easy for them to seel it on ebay to the mugs on there.

Tha'ts the only thing you're an expert on isn't it.

I could never equal your foolishness.

And where would I get a set of replacement fuses oh yes from the plugs, it takes quite a bit of space to have 50 or so plugs with fuses in them. Better to take them out and keep them in a small box, and get rid of the excess plugs. Seperate the metal from the plastic/rubber too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

it doesn't works exactly as a lubricant. It slightly dissolves oxides, that's all

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On a static contact, mineral oil lubricants won't prevent conduction at the high spots. My guess is that proper "contact cleaners" contain weak organic acids which help to dissolve oxides. 3-in-1 certainly contains a very effective anti-rust additive, this may be the thing that gives it the distinct smell.

Reply to
newshound

Round here the rich kids are always trading in their wives for a newer model.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

OK, thanks. I guess removing oxides improves conduction as well as reducing friction.

Reply to
Adam Funk

It's the box that is the important bit - it keeps the damp out.

Reply to
John Rumm