Couple of quick electrical questions - lubrication and disposal

Firstly disposal. I have some memory that if you were to chuck away an electrical appliance you should first cut the plug off. However a cut off moulded plug itself seems dodgy as it could be plugged in and have a live connection. Take the fuse out helps but kitkat wrapper. So just put the whole thing in the electricals bin at the tip?

Secondly, I have a 4 way extension lead up high under a roof in the dry, but outside. It is getting a bit stiff for plugging in and out, which I assume may be oxidisation of the connectors over time (years). Is there a suitable lubricant? That is, something electrically safe but not just a drying solution like WD40.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David

I cut the cable off as close to the appliance as possible. I then remove the plug unscrewing the individual conductors and keep the cable , normally keep the plug too and put them in a safe places where I can't find them when needed ;-)

yes again take the fuse out and store it for later use. You can't aviod such practices. A friend was at a bus stop once, a lad near her gave her a free kitkat bar but he kept the silver foil , I think he was off to chase a dragon with it, rather than put it in a plug.

could ask at the tip , or check a recycle web site, if you really insist on throwing such valuble stuff as mains cable and plugs away ;-0

Or it could be the plastic becoming brittle and not giving way when you insert the plug pins. Or as you say springs or pins , not sure any lubricant is a good idea though so won;t advise any. I'd ttry replacing the socket/plug.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Google electrolube, Farnell and the like stock them. You will get a smaller quantity maybe at your local model shop, model train enthusiasts use it to lubricate pickups, but may not be any cheaper.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I use a "contact spray" that either came from Screwfix or Toolstation, I think it is good to use these for low voltage and maybe low current contacts such as electronics kit and automotive switches, but TBH for a mains "spreader" I would be almost as happy with a silicone spray, also available from SF, TS, and periodically Aldi/Lidl. The stiffness there could be from contact oxidation, but IME is just as likely to be from deformation of the thermoplastic structure giving you plastic on plastic or plastic on metal sliding friction.

Reply to
newshound

Very dodgy - in fact has killed a toddler in the past.

I think that's beyond most toddlers.

Personally I twist the L and N pins with a pair of pliers to prevent insertion. Modern sleeved pins bend easily.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I would personally use a pair of mole grips to physically break the 3 pins off the moulded plug.

Then I would break the Live and neutral pins into two pieces each.

Once the moulded plug has been stripped of its 3 pins, I would then cut the moulded plug off the cable.

Reply to
SH

I can think of two reasons why you might remove the plug. One is because you want to reuse it. The other is because you know that the appliance is dangerous, so you don't want someone to fish it out of the rubbish,l plug it in, and hurt themselves.

If the appliance is just faulty, not dangerous, I don't see why you should cut the plug off?

Reply to
GB

A faulty appliance is probably dangerous, at least inasmuch as it encourages some dimwit to have a go fixing it and sticking their fingers in places fingers shouldn't go to try and make it work.

If it was faulty and fixable you wouldn't be throwing it away would you?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

+1
Reply to
ARW

You might be surprised at the things people throw away because they're not the currently "in" design or don't have the latest bell and/or whistle, even though they function perfectly and are safe.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Luxury. I grind the plug to a powder, encapsulate it in resin, then fire it into deep space while dancing on it's grave singing Hallelujah.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Twist one of the L/N pins with a pair of pliers.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Only if you particularly need the plug (and it's a rewireable one). As long as the appliance is not dangerous you can leave the plug on.

Indeed you need to take more care disposing of a terminated plug which could make live wires accessible.

Just twist the live pin

CPC will do you a contact lubricant / cleaning spray. Squirt some on the pins of the plug and inert and remove a few times.

(or better still, fit a socket designed for exterior use)

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to do that, but I eventually realised that singing Hallelujah made no real difference.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

:-) Quite, there are limits to what one can do.

Reply to
Chris Green

Er, is this actually possible? They're mostly brass which isn't very 'twistable'. I think breaking the pins off is a more realistic possibility but, really, do many people go to this sort of extent?

Reply to
Chris Green

Oven swap? The child took the new plug with the new flex on it and plugged it into a socket? The fitter removed the new stuff and reused the old stuff

And most of my apprentices

Reply to
ARW

The full song or just the chorus?

Reply to
ARW

Um, since shrouded pins for live and neutral came in I would imagine that they?re a lot more twistable than they used to be. Several folk have already said that this is what they do.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's only bullshit if you know why an appliance has stopped working.

It you don't know and there is a small chance a wire is loose, then the safest way is to mark it up as such or if of little value in our throw away society make it obvious it's is for the scrap bin and to render safe.

Most of those versed in electrical test would cut the plug.

Only a self-confessed chemist would disagree.

Reply to
Fredxx