Costco plastic shed

Anyone any experience?

Spouse's neglected 70 yo timber framed shed is past its best, he's looking to replace it and someone has suggested the plastic one.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Friend of mine got one last year, seems to be much the same as the current model if it's the sort of beige and dark brown coloured one.

It needs a flat base, he put his on paving slabs laid on soil which were already there. Putting it up was simple (particularly if you read the instructions first so didn't end up with something which should have been fitted at stage one at stage 23 - this is not a criticism of the shed but the erector).

I expected it to be a bit damp in the cold but it remained very dry during the winter and seems to be quite well ventilated. it isn't terribly secure as it all bends if attacked but all in all it's a very serviceable and good sized weatherproof shed. It's also very easy to clean. After he managed to spill several gallons of chicken soup in it (it's a very long story) it just required a good hosing down to make it as new.

It isn't a shedders shed and doesn't have quite the same ambience as a wood shed so if the aim is to fit it out with an old sofa, storm lantern and flagon of warm sherry (to be enjoyed accompanied by the smell of creosote) it won't be a great success. For storing things in it's pretty good and simple.

Reply to
Peter Parry

when its old you wont be able to burn it in a bonfire like a wooden one...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

It would probably melt into a sticky heap of brown plastic, permanently welded to its concrete foundations. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

When it's old we'll be in our boxes!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

as vikings had ship burials shouldnt diy-ers be cremated in their sheds?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

What's wrong with the timber shed, can't it be patched up for another

10 years?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

We're not going to be cremated, we'll be buried. The survivor will dig the hole and his/hers will be dug by our descendants.

Or they won't inherit anything :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's wrong with the timber shed, can't it be patched up for another

10 years?

We intend being around for longer than that :-)

In truth I've suggested that but it would be patching on patches which were patched on patches ... It hasn't been properly maintained because there's very restricted access to the back and sides (the front's fine of course). It was only when the huge rose tree blew down and exposed one side that we ralised how bad it was.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So, if they dig the hole, they'll inherit the earth? :-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And if you both go together or the survivor can't dig...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

LOL! They're not meek enough :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As I said, our descendants.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Yes, well, of the6x8 one at least (new ones are 8x8 IIRC) but it's now over 4 years old and still fine. Keter have an extremely helpful man in the UK as well, mine came missing one of the plastic 'bolts', there was a new one through the door the very next day.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

We bought two of the ones that can have 'extensions' fitted; each one with one extension. I put one up without extension, and one with both extensions. The latter is 'mine'.

The plastic honeycomb 'floor' is a bit fragile for point loads, so I cut and fitted some loft board to put over the top.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's useful, thanks.

His shed is 8 x 12 though and he needs all the space.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They are very good but must be regarded as just cover from the elements. There is no security at all with them so no element of

*locked away*. They are also a tad unnerving as the shed tends to move with the occupants movements. :))
Reply to
EricP

Shelter is he needs, access to the garden itself is very secure. A bit like Stalag 17 ...

I doubt that there'd be any movement when it's stuffed with all his - er - stuff!

Just had a thought on that though, all shelving would have to be free-standing, no? And could anything be fastened to any wall or the roof? If not it's not suitable.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Well, the one I have has slots you can clip shelf supports into down both sides and it was supplied with two shelves and associated brackets, plus hooks for hanging garden tools from and I believe you can buy more as well. Might be worth having a look at the Keter website though. Of course you could add your own stand alone shelving as necessary.

Any wall is a no if you're using the Keter brackets for mine at least as there are only slots on two walls. Ask at Costco to see the manual.

Might not work for you but have a read of the manual.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Thank you, Clint, that's helpful.

Mary