Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

I think I can count on one hand the number of times my other half has fueled either of our cars!

Reply to
R D S

Mine is a 1L 3 cylinder Hyundai i30. Has surprisingly good performance due to the turbo. In just over two years, from fill up to fill up the worst is 37 and best

48mpg.
Reply to
Richard

And you complain about the lack of education of your apprentices? ;-)

She is currently paying between 17.4 and 15.6p a mile

Based on your figures, your car will cost 12p per mile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Missing data: how many mpg in "her car"?

Reply to
JNugent

Work it out.

Reply to
ARW

I'll give you a hint. Work out the cost per mile for both. Based on the data given.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Adam, think of it as payment for services rendered.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Got you.

I was misled by the inclusion of the price of petrol (which wasn't necessary).

Reply to
JNugent

It's plenty fast enough for me thank you! Did you notice that I got out and kissed my drive last time you dropped me off?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You are NOT the Pope kissing the floor.

What was your first comment on the trip "Jesus look at the size of that arse"?

I had already looked and I had to drive on the wrong side of the road to get past it even though she was walking on the pavement.

Reply to
ARW

The fuel cost of an EV is comfortably greater than a diesel or petrol car, if you remove the VAT and excises duty from the fuel...largely on account of renewable subsidies charged on electricity bills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£54,990 here (over $69,000 US)
Reply to
John Rumm

:-)

And the real answer is she uses mine and thinks I won't notice[1].

She does not know how to do the trip computers on mine so that is how I knew she was doing 65MPG. I am lucky to get 55MPG on the same journey.

[1] We do not live together and I keep the car parked on her driveway and I only use it at most once a fortnight on the weekend.
Reply to
ARW

Just checked the van. 418 miles and 28MPG over the last week. And a free pigeon on the roofbars.

Reply to
ARW

Another job where I do all the work?

Reply to
ARW

Most of us live in the real world where the taxes and subsidies actually exist, so the cost is what it is in our wallets. YMMV

Reply to
Richard

When I has my ladder fall and broke three ribs she hit the kerb twice on the way to A&E.

One of them on a left turn and she clipped the back wheel. That hurt when the car landed back on the ground.

Reply to
ARW

There is always someone who posts a really good reply to my vague and random posts.

Lou is probably going to have to change her insurance to business use.

I assume that would mean I have to alter mine if she uses it for the business as she is a named driver.

I'll still be the main driver of my car if that is defined by "I do more miles PA in it than she does".

Mileage PA on the insurance is no longer a problem - covered for 20K a year and it will never get near that.

Reply to
ARW

The gas pedal doesn't have to be either "off" or "on the floor". There *are* intermediate positions, you know.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Given that the overall cost of the journey was quoted, what do you say was the point in providing the price per litre of petrol?

Reply to
JNugent