Messing about with a DIY TDR

This probably needs a better title (and possibly more or less detail depending on what you want from it!)

Suggestions / improvements etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Why bother building one? I got one of these from Leo Bodnar. Only 60 quid!

Cursitor Doom

Erm, you do know what the DIY stands for in the group title? :-)

How about for fun, entertainment, experimentation, discovery, curiosity etc?

Also you are perhaps missing one of the points of the article, since it is also about techniques for finding where a cable might be damaged using a number of different methods including TDR.

Although perhaps it would be better as two separate articles, and/or expand the applications... perhaps include things like finding waterlogged coax. You might even be able to identify which sockets on a ring have spurs just from the cable ends at the CU.

(It might be worth gating off the output to convert it into a true pulse gen rather than and edge for some of these applications though)

Mine worked out about £13 in parts if I had to go buy them all (and that includes the case, switch and PSU). Factor in some time for making it, probably still a bit cheaper.

However if I needed commercially, then £60 is probably fair. (although splashing £1000 on a Megger TDR500/3 would probably be a more useful purchase for site work).

Reply to
John Rumm

In the 'nail through TV cable' scenario, it's possible (perhaps surprisingly) to get a good estimate of the position of the damage by measuring the resistance across the inner core and screen at both ends. I used a normal (£70 approx) multimeter for this many times when I was installing RF systems using the builder's built-in cables. Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It's a fair cop, guv, get the bracelets on I'll come quietly.

Depends how handy you are with a soldering iron I guess. I'm not up to much when it comes to fine motor skills. Plus at my time of life I can't be faffing around any more so buying ready-made makes more sense. Might wake up dead tomorrow!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yup resistance readings with enough resolution can find quite a number of faults IME.

I just tried an experiment with a length of old "low loss" co-ax. I was wondering if there would be enough detail to see the effects of a cable kink or crushed section... Apparently not appears to be the answer.

Reply to
John Rumm

A kink would create a zone of impedance which differs from that of the characteristic impedance of the coax. You won't detect that with a resistance check. You'd have to somehow marry up a TDR with a VNA for that. Not something I personally would want to have to devise.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Pulse generator and a two channel scope will see the reflections if fast enough

delay is a ns for every 8" of cable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

how to build and use one

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was not doing a resistance check, I was looking at the reflection characteristic with the pulse injector.

Reply to
John Rumm

Second picture up from bottom text at end contains confusing exponentiation...

"So if we multiply c by 12.9-9 Sec and by a velocity factor of 0.6"

12.9e-9 makes more sense, or 12x10^-9.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I stared at that for a while thinking "that exponent is being rendered ok as a superscript on my browser"... completely missing the missing base! :-)

Thanks, fixed.

Reply to
John Rumm

Shouldn't it be 1.2x10^-10 ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

engineering notation?

Despite my quondam physics ambitions I think there's much to be said for it in contexts like this. I cd still blind read the former as 12 ns without hesitation. I'd pause over the latter.

Reply to
Robin

Measuring things in dns (deca nano seconds) sounds just plain weird engineering wise in the SI system!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Probably 1.29x10^-10 if one were being pedantic :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Try 1.2 x 10^-8, if you must be pedantic,and try and get it right..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not a recognised format in electronics, though. The power has gotta be

-3, -6, -9, -12 and so on for milli, micro, nano, pico etc.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I would read it as 1.2 angstrom seconds :-D

Reply to
SH