Cost of adding second layer of bricks to a conservatory

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on fixing up a
conservatory.
I've just moved into a new 2 bed house and it has a pretty rough and
ready conservatory. It's double glazed on all sides but it only has a
single layer brick wall, so it's cold, it's more like part of the
outside of the house than the inside!
We think that putting in another layer of bricks with insulation in
between will transform it into a proper usable space. Does anyone have
any kind of rough guide to pricing up brick work? I guess what I'm
after is a ball-park cost per square meter for DIY vs professional
builder. I'm willing to do it myself but I have no experience and if
the cost of brick-laying labour isn't extortionate then it might be
simpler to get a bricky in.
Can anyone give me any advice?
Cheers
M.
Reply to
google
I don't know if building codes in the UK allow it, but if it were my place in the United States, I would put up an inner wall of gypsum board with a layer of insulation (we call it drywall) in between, much less expensive and quicker than brick.-Jitney
Reply to
jtnospam
Just to get things into proportion, roughly what are the relative areas of glass and brickwork?
If it is only a dwarf wall, then whilst you would improve the situation, would it make enough difference?
Chris
Reply to
Chris J Dixon
Extending Chris' query, what is the roofing material ? If the dwarf wall is single brick then it suggests the structure was put up on the cheap and an inexpensive roof covering with poor insulation has been used.
I would guess you would get a far greater improvement if there was better insulation in the roof covering.
Rob
Reply to
robgraham
Yup, it was definitely put up on the cheap! The roof is polycarbarbonate no more than 15 - 20mm so kicking myself for not thinking of that. I imagine that's a pretty good at losing heat. So, double glazed glass roof needed I guess?
M.
Reply to
google
The conservatory is about 6 - 7 ft x 20 - 22. One of the side walls has no windows, the back wall has a pair of double glazed doors. The other side wall and the back wall are about 2.5 - 3 feet high, the rest is windows. So two thirds window, one third brick roughly.
M.
Reply to
google
Most of the heat is going up and out through the glass or the roof. The thermal improvements in adding an inner skin are negligible - let alone the practicalities and expense.
If you really need to do something, then dry-line it with a 50mm layer of PIR foam (Celotex/kingspan) and plasterboard and skim
dg
Reply to
dg
Careful! From what I've read, (I no practical experience of this) some conservatories built with polycarbonate roofing may not be sufficiently sound to take double glazing.
Reply to
clot
Bugger :o/
Anyone know what I need to look for to say if it can hanlde double glazing or not?
M.
Reply to
google

Site Timeline Threads