Cost guide for kitchen refurb.

This isn't a DIY question but I can't find anywhere else to ask, and you guys seem fairly clued-up... ;-)

I am thinking about getting my kitchen refurbished in the spring. Obviously I need to get quotes, but I would like to have some kind of ball-park idea of cost before that, just so I don't fall over when the quotes are given.

So, the kitchen is about 11' x 9' (3.35m x 2.9m), with one doorway and one window. It currently has units on three walls. The existing unit structures seem sound enough, if only of average quality. Above the worktops, all round is an 18" row of tiles.

I'd like to get some idea of costs for a budget refurbishment and a mid-range refurbishment. Also nice would be some idea of cost of refurbing existing fittings (new doors, worktops, etc.) as against ripping the whole lot out and starting again.

Please don't count appliances as I can find out about them easily enough. There would also be a bit of plumbing (for machines) and electrical (extra sockets) and some decorating, but I can also find out about those more easily.

Thanks for any advice.

John

Reply to
John Fryatt

Two suggestions;

The Wickes 'take away' range is of good quality for the price, well made & nearly always available for instant take away.

Worktops & sinks & taps are all reasonable & easily available.

If the carcass of the units is OK try Doors Direct

who are very good & competitive.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi John,

=46rom the sound of your post, you don't intend to DIY fit the kitchen - is that correct? If so, the most annoying thing for you is that - as people have pointed out here before - buying the material is cheap - it's the labour that's expensive.

For that size of kitchen, I wouldn't expect to pay much more than =A3800 for units, sink and basic laminate worktops. For plumbing, electrics, tiling, decorating (will you need a plasterer?) and cabinet fitting you might be looking at up to 2k. I'd expect it to take the best part of a week to complete.

And I'd say that to upgrade sink/taps/worktop/doors etc you could spend another 1.5k to take you to the mid-range level.

So basic - 3k, mid-range 4.5k

Mark.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Excellent, thanks Mark, just what I was after.

John

Reply to
John Fryatt