Corrupted USB stick

Yes all sorts of fault conditions occur. I have several smaller ones that say they have the full size on them but format will not work for various reasons, one says insert new disc in the drive one says its locked and hence read only and the other has 'unknown error. Needless to say trying to write to any of them will not work, and the drive looks empty. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Often they seem to just die. the physical construction internally has a lot to do with it, wafer thin board directly mounted on the usb plug and the leverage you get on such a stick is more than the construction can stand. Some of the very low profile ones are better, but these seem to often get hotter. I suspect they are just churned out like sausages and not burn in tested etc. How old is it and could it have been doing a lot of reading and writing and is actually worn out from the memory cell point of view. Just as well you are not on Mars or in outer space as many flash ram devices fail early due to hits from cosmic rays. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :

It began on Saturday evening, with my connection going on and off, in time with some battery powered equipment sending a burst of data. Then died the connection went off completely at around 11pm. There was no lightening about. At around the same time, a few flashing orange lights appeared at the street end, followed the day after by traffic lights and hole in the road. Soon after which, we lost street lights - so I am wondering if that's all connected to my issues.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote on 02/11/2021 :

It a Verbatim, about two years old, which has been written to around once per week.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It sounds like a mains to telephone short

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course not. What you get at 11.pm is darkening.

Reply to