Corrugated asbestos

I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof.
Does this pose any health risk? If so, how to find a suitably qualified company to safely remove it?

Asbestos in this roofing form could only pose a health risk if mauled about with. If it is still sound and performing its intended function, there should be no need to remove it, unless you want rid of the garage that is.
Pete www.thecanalshop.com
On 21 Oct 2005 13:32:05 -0700, abracad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So have I and hundreds around me.

No, only if you take an angle grinder to it on a windy day with no mask on. You are in more danger of harm from getting a chunk in your eye.

Only if you have a lot of spare cash in the bank to burn. The general thought is leave it alone and it will cause no harm for the remaining 40 or so years of it's life.
abracad_1999 wrote:

I had one of those - lots of people have them. The thing is, it's probably "corrugated asbestos cement", and....

A very, very, very tiny one.

My gosh! They'll be beating a path to your door!! You can DIY it, and save hundreds of pounds, if not thousands, depending on who would have done the job. So: Try a Google on this group. Find out about the cost of hiring a van for 1/2 a day, if you haven't an estate or trailer. Telephone your tidy tip, or council, to find out where you can dispose of it (yes, you can). Buy a pair of bolt cutters (18") to split the nuts on the bolts holding the sheets on. Remove the sheets, dump them, and replace the roof with a nice pitched one (Google again).

Unfortunately you overlooked the single most important piece of advice, i.e. Do NOT break up the sheets.
Joe Lee

Taking it to the tip will be tricky as most stop vans going in and will only allow cars under a height barrier. You're supposed to transport it double wrapped in a separate compartment from the drivers section. You can pay some geezers to officially remove it and they'll just throw it in the back of their transit van no worries.
--
Promotional codes, discounts, money off
http://www.promotionalcode.co.uk /
On 21 Oct 2005 13:32:05 -0700, abracad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No.
Easily, there are no end of certified asbestos con artists who will be only to willing to relieve you of a few thousand pounds. Yellow Pages will have many listed.
Look at www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk before doing anything expensive.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
abracad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If white or light grey, no. If blue or brown, yes, but blue and brown asbestos roofs are a real rarity. And can easily be made totally safe anyway.

Me! Me! 5000 sir!
Unless youre selling, or want to remove the garage altogether, asbestos makes a good quality long lived roof, if not the most glamorous.
But if youre selling, you'll probably be selling to a line of clueless people that will freak out and pay a licensed asbestos conartist thousands of pounds to take the garage down the tip. If selling its usually best to get rid first, and let them put up a new wood one that'll rot away instead.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

A "wood" roof? Hmm. Anyway, when I sold a rental property earlier this year, no-one even mentioned the asbestos cement garage roof - so maybe the hysteria is not too widespread (hopefully!).
On 21 Oct 2005 13:32:05 -0700, abracad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
| I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof. | | Does this pose any health risk? If so, how to find a suitably qualified | company to safely remove it?
Are you sure it is asbestos? At some date they started making the stuff without asbestos. Mine installed c1997 is asbestos free.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

All this talk of thousands of pounds when I enquired it was going to cost 400 for the whole garage.
Paul
Paul wrote:

I agree. I just had the entire roof of my house removed and replaced with slate. Old roof was concrete-asbestos - stamped on the bottom of each tile! Cost 240 for special small skip from Stowmarket Skip Hire, Suffolk. My builders did the removal. I had budgeted a lot more, so celebrations in our hause last week!
Jon.