Replacing window compound - asbestos risk?

I'm in the planning stages of a whole-house window project, which includes some replacements but in both the interests of saving money as well as keeping at least a few of our historic windows, I'd also hoped to just reapply the window compound around a bunch of our old ones. These windows have fine sashes and wood, but the old compound is dry and in some cases has nearly completely flaked off.

When I was a kid, I had a little summer job re-compounding the windows in a church rectory, so I know this is easy enough to do, and I'm actually pretty good at it.

Now I'm reading that some window compounds might contain asbestos, and I'm suddenly freaked out about scraping off what's left of the old compound, or even opening any of my old windows that are still actively flaking. I know people get old windows replaced all the time, and they also replace window compound all the time, and I never see or hear of any asbestos abatement procedures as part of the process. The installer who's putting in the new windows we are getting looked at our windows and never mentioned any risk to himself or anyone else. Should I assume there's an asbestos risk, or am I freaked out over nothing? How much asbestos was there in old window compound?

Reply to
basscadet75

If it ever had any, it was very tiny amounts. Touching it will not harm you and it is encapsulated in the compound, not a fine dust. I'd not let it bother me at all.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:STgyaRQWkX0J:

window glazing has lead and possibly even some asbestos in it so keep it out of your home and off of the ground. Dispose of it properly!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Worst case - take a sample and get it tested. Here in Seattle it costs around $30.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Forget about it.

If you get it tested, and the stuff does turn out to contain asbestos, you're talking big-bucks to remediate.

There has never been a case, so far as I know, of an asbestos hazard with ANY commercial product. Not in its application, its use, or its removal. Ever. All asbestos health problems have been associated with asbestos mining and that limited to those exposed to it for many years. Asbestos-phobia ranks along side crop circles.

Reply to
HeyBub

Maybe you would like to look up Mansville's case or Keene Corporation. With more time I could add a dozen more.

For the OP, forget it and go on. There is a much over rated phobia. Mold is the current rage.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt