Corroded basin 'plug'

This no-longer-lever-up basin 'plug' seems to be made of a curious collection of metals. The main chromed body is heavy, and I thought is was iron based, but it is not magnetic. The screw that has corroded is also non magnetic but too far gone for me to tell what it was made of. The lock nut on it is brass, but the threaded part was grey; and the lever below is iron.

What, if anything, should I try to do with this. A stainless screw perhaps? A messy prospect: or are there standard replacement plugs like this? But why was it made from mismatched metals in the first place?

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

I think you may find that the body is cast brass with a ferrous screw and brass locknut for adjustment. Plastic ring to catch debris. If of any interest I have a very similar (if not identical) item in working order that I removed recently. Probably have the entire fitting but it would probably need seals etc. Yours for the price of postage and a pint if you want it. Email works but you have to remove the obvious.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks Nick - that's probably it. I had thought solid brass was getting to be a rarity but interesting that when the do have it they cover it up with crap plating!

Thanks for the offer, but I think that when I get a bit of energy I'll see if I can modify a stainless bolt or threaded rod. Who knows, I might even have a brass screw to match the nut!

Cheers,

Spamlet

No problem. Checked this evening and found that I have the fitting complete with plug and pop-up waste bits. All in GWO and reusable so that's why I kept it. The original basin has been relocated but pop-up waste wasn't right for the job and I converted it to plug & chain which suits far better. FWIW. The adjusting screw appears to be copper with brass locknut. I don't know what might be the effect of copper into brass in a wet environment but the locknut undid easily and the screw then came out by hand. I installed it in 1985 and it was in constant use until Aug 2009. I don't know of any coating that will keep brass shiny in any environment, hence the chrome, gold or other plating.

Good luck with your venture and I hope it turns out well. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Ta for checking. My screw isn't copper: sounds like yours is a better design. It's all rather like those threaded rods and wingnuts they use on bog seats. It's one of the reasons I keep stainless threaded rod around: got so fed up with filthy rotten pissy rusty screws every time a seat needs adjusting. And often spending ages with hacksaw blades trying to saw through rusty bolts in confined spaces... For the want of a penny or two on the manufacturing price, we get the throw away society.

Long live uk.d-i-y!

Spamlet