Correct wire used at last

After suffering several burnouts by using stranded 2.5mm cable for my 8.5 kW sauna, I finally used 50A 10mm cooker cable and have solved the wiring problem.

Good job I don't do it for a living.

Reply to
Simon Mason

You're lucky that the cable was all that burned. You could have been in need of a new house!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Can't you spot attention seeking behaviour when you see it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why not?

It's piss easy to do it right first time.

Reply to
ARW

I have just bought a spool of 8mm as the 10mm was too stiff. Up and working again now.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Oh. Right, I happen to have this chalet bungalow needing a full rewire...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Of course you have!

Reply to
ARW

Must be WF125 coax.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There's an easy rule of thumb. 1mm takes 10 amps. So 2.5mm takes 25 amps. Your sauna needs 34 amps, which is more than 25.

The 10mm cooker cable is actually capable of 100A.

(Assuming you're talking cross sectional area, which is what they're sold by).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Before I boxed it up - grey is 8mm.

Simon Mason

It might be 4mm2.

Reply to
dennis

You need to take care that you don't kill yourself.

Reply to
Judith

Or 6mm.

But not 8mm

Reply to
ARW

Try 64A

Reply to
ARW

My mistake - it is 2x6mm2 + 2.5 mm2.

Reply to
Simon Mason

God can't let me die until I have finished writing that book - I am up to 8JAN14 now.

Reply to
Simon Mason

And why not a proper junction box?

Reply to
ARW

Crack on then.

You could have fitted a double socket in the time it took you to make that post:-)))

Reply to
ARW

I'm more than happy to lend a hand but *skilled* men seem very protective of their work opportunities.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

As a matter of interest, am I going to be laughed at if I want to run cables in ducts at ceiling level and through/over soffits rather than have sparkies drilling endless holes through structural timbers?

Reply to
Tim Lamb