correct way to raise path above house's damp proof level?

We have found an honest builder. Honest because, having done the job unsuccessfully, he gave us our money back. So now we have to find out how to get it done properly...
We're trying to raise the level of the path at the front of our house, to remove a step down then step up to the front door.
To put it another way, the land slopes down to the front of our house, and at the front door, the bottom of the door is about 1ft above ground level. We want level access. So we want to fill in the last bit of this slope - both immediately in front of the door, and to the side.
Where this new raised path abuts the house, it'll be just above the DPM in the house wall. How can this be done (_can_ this be done) to avoid getting the external house wall damp? Plastic? Gap? hidden/ french drain / gutter thing? Nowt?
Cheers, David.
David Robinson wrote:

Use a drainage channel abbutting the house and work to this, they're plastic so they shouldn't track damp across, but if you're worried, place a DPM twixt channel and house thusly:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2uykl7k&s=7

Thanks, something like that sounds good - though the path will be slightly _above_ the DPM. The shingle will have to be lower. Splash back could be an issue because it's quite exposed to wind driven rain - but not 24/7/365! (it just feel like it sometimes!).
Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers, David.
David Robinson wrote:

Couple of points. free draining shingle above DPM is not a problem esp with cavity wall.
Shingle breaks up drops of splashing water. Its less likely to lead to splash back.
Remember all houses get some driving sideways rain on the wall,. It's the long term damp that penetrates, not a quick splash or hose down.
The task of round house drainage is to disperse water above damp course very very quickly. Not entirely eliminate it.

On 24/06/2011 15:17, David Robinson wrote:

Make the raised path out of decking materials - with fresh air underneath?
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 24/06/2011 16:51, Roger Mills wrote:

Wouldn't rain still splash back onto the wall from the surface of the decking? How is that dealt with with normal deckings?
How about galvanised or plastic grating as used for industrial walkways?
SteveW
On Jun 24, 5:18pm, Steve Walker

Decking will splash and block sunlight, not idael. FWIW expanded metal wouldnt, if you use thick enough to make it walkable.
NT
David,
I'm about to build some steps up to a set of patio doors (a timber construction, probably to be secured by sinking corner uprights into the ground) and I'm facing the exact same situation.
I was thinking of either leaving a gap between the step unit and the wall for the whole depth of the steps, or securing them to the wall below the DPC and leaving a gap above that.
If there are any other approaches I'd be interested as well.
Bert
David Robinson wrote:

It is, to put it bluntly, a bit of a bugger.
But it can be done to satisfy BCO etc.
what you need is a gap twixt path and wall - a gutter if you like, and backfill that with shingle.
be aware that rain splashing off the path above DP will cause issues, so try and make sure its not too exposed.
So make that gap as wide as you can.
On 24/06/2011 15:17, David Robinson wrote:

You're missing the obvious. A simple construction that will keep your walls dry, dissuade Jehovah's Witnesses, and be one up on the neighbours all at once.
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/gja0239l.jpg
Andy

Yes, builder number one didn't consider that at all, which is why we got our money back!

Decking is slippery in the rain. It rains a lot up here. So we really don't want any decking.
Considered a small gap, but thought it would just get filled up with muck and act like no gap soon enough. I suppose a slightly larger gap could be raked out.
Cheers, David.

Yes, already we can see the moisture spreading up the outside wall when it rains.

Yes, builder number one didn't consider that, hence the refund!

The problem with decking is that it gets slippery when it rains. It rains a lot up here. So definitely not decking.
Cheers, David,