Correct terminologY

I realise this will make me seem a bit daft, but I'm stuck.
We bought a pup a couple of years ago and, true to form, it chewed
everything in sight, and I'm only now able to put things right again.
the problem is that I need to replace our bannister - except that I
don't know what the parts are called. It isn't a handrail with
uprights (spindles?), it's 3 planks of wood set diagonally down the
angle of the stairs and at the edge of the upstairs landing.
Does this make sense? If so, I'd appreciate knowing what they're
called and if they are available in standard lengths in diy stores.
Reply to
Nows the time to come out of the 70's with your stair rail.
They're just normal planks of wood,measure the width,thickness and lenght and you should get a piece or two at the local sheds? or put in a new upto date bannister.
Reply to
I've got a similar problem. Just moved into a 1985 house, built by a bloke that loved the 70's - with those diagonal planks. I'd like to replace the bannister too. I see that people like Screwfix do balustrade kits. Could I removed the diagonal planks, and just screw a new balustrade on top of the old "base" plank? Otherwise to make this up to date I'd need a whole new staircase?
Reply to
Have you any idea of the style he's on about? it was a common stair rail in the 70's with just two or three wide planks ie no fancy stair spindles or bannister hand rail.
Reply to
If it helps at all, the uprights are the banisters (so when people say they slide down a banister they may need medical attention).
Reply to
Lino expert
The "planks of wood" which we switched to in the 1960s were so much easier to keep clean and re-decorate that those balustrade things that people are now switching back to.. They look good new (though a bit 1930ish) but repainting and or repairing puppy damage to a balustrade would be a bit of a nightmare. Michael
Reply to
Michael Shergold
Niet, ya Angilskiye.
But, yeah, I was rushing when I wrote tho OP. Cheers everyone for the advice.
Reply to
In article , Cranky writes:
You aren't allowed to build bannisters like that any more. You have to use balustrades so there's nothing children can get a foot hold on to climb over the bannisters. The regs require a vertical distance (something like 900mm from memory) between the top of the highest possible foot hold and the hand rail, which in practice means you can use them. Also the balustrades have to be close enough together that you can't get a 100mm ball between them.
A shame really. My brother and I spent hours climbing all over my parents' banisters when we were young like they were a climbing frame.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
ban=C2=B7is=C2=B7ter also ban=C2=B7nis=C2=B7ter (b=C4=81n'=C4=AD-st=C9= =99r) Pronunciation Key n.
A handrail, especially on a staircase. Such a handrail together with its supporting structures. One of the vertical supports of a handrail; a baluster.
It can be either, so the bit about sliding down one and needing medical attention is not correct.
Reply to
Man at B&Q
=81n'=C4=AD-st=C9=99r) =C2=A0Pronunciation Key
My vote has gone to letting the dictionary compilers slug it out. Because I'm not going to.
Reply to
Lino expert

Site Timeline Threads

  • Soooooo since no one is mentioning building something I'll mention the POS I...
  • site's last updated in


HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.