Core boring

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

Well, in this case it did slow them down, must have take some hours to drill those holes.

If the alarm system had been responded to as intended they may well have been caught during that time.

Probably anything that might be considered evidence? Anything that the thieves brought in presumably.

Bad writing I think, I presume they meant the door to the vault that they bypassed, which can be seen in one of the photos further down the page

Reply to
Chris French

Presumably the actual tools used which wuould help a "How to ..." or items that could be used to identify the tea leaves.

I should imagine it will go for auction and with its history/background (whats the word?, blasted brain rot, can almost retrieve it but not quite(*)) it will fetch a "good price".

(*) Having done some other thinsgs for 30 mins and still not being able to get the word thank you google "object history background value" -> Provenance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Very strange because the BNP are homophobic and want to reintroduce capital punishment for drug dealers etc.

Reply to
Bod

notoriety?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It would be funny if there was an old uk.d-i-y post asking:

"how should I drill a big hole through 3 feet of solid concrete? I've only got access to one side, and I'm working in a confined space".

Reply to
Caecilius

I'm sure we've had safe-opening questions before.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I was thinking about similar woolly logic today when driving over the Cat & Fiddle pass in Cheshire - "Britain's most dangerous road", blah blah. It's an fast, open, mountain road with lots of "interesting" bends for motor cyclists to test their skills on. Too many bikers screw up, with fatal results.

Some years ago the authorities imposed a 50 mph limit, and when that was ignored, installed average speed cameras all the way along the route.

Now does the team think the result will be:

1) Speed control does its job, those same bikers now ride the route at 49 mph.

or

2) Complete waste of time and money, the bikers will simply find some other road to kill themselves on.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

I don't know the Cat 'n Fiddle but can you see well ahead of the bends? Hartside (another biker favourite) has some sections were you can see the entire road for many bends ahead. It's a really good driving road. On one "spirited" descent my brakes faded, I use the gears a bit more now. B-)

But there are also a few places were you think you can see ahead but there is a little hidden kink that can hide something...

Same on Hartside and the other roads around here. Drystone walls are not very foregiving.

Mobile camereas tend to appear on busy weekends but otherwise it's NSL.

Some might, It's quite pleasant to just drive around the bends at a speed that lets you know there are corners but not requiring the use of all the road.

Most surprised today when a pair of bikers appeared behind me, I was doing about 50, they over took quickly but safely. The real surprise was that they *DIDN'T* then scream off at 120 mph, they got ahead but no faster than I'd expect something doing 60 to do.

Probably around here.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, but that will be some other local council / police force / NHS board's area and so some other local council / police force / NHS board's budget will be affected.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On 23/04/2015 20:10, Mike Barnes wrote: ...

Not according to a recent survey:

According to government figures for free traffic speeds by vehicle type, it is likely that 79% of them would drive at speeds below the limit and only 8% would exceed it by more than 10mph, even without the cameras.

Reply to
Nightjar

Andrew Gabriel wrote: >Subject: Core boring

[yawn]
Reply to
Mike Barnes

I used to work for a bank in the 1980's. Their vault had a double wall filled with rubble. The theory was that a drill wouldn't be ablke to get a grip on the rubble and would just spin. I don't know if that would be true today.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I was looking at a vault that was "rather large" and apparently the walls were filled with steel ball bearings for a similar reason. I had visions of the old Egyptian pyramid sand traps, except with ball bearings. Drill a hole in the wall and get buried und steel balls.

Reply to
Bill

Or stand aside and wait for them all to tumble out, then drill though the other retaining wall.

Reply to
GB

Reply to
Andy Burns