copying video tape to DVD

I have been transferring all my copies of video to DVD and I have been asked to transfer some old camera video from the original cassetts.

The original video camera tapes are marked up 'Sony Video8 P5-90.

How can I do this when the original camera is no longer available?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

There's a bunch of services which will do this for you fairly inexpensively: for instance:

Jim

Borrow a video8 camera, buy a video8(ebay?) camera or get someone that has a video8 camera to do it for you.

Video8 was fairly common so there should be a few playback device around. Oh, a Hi8 camera should be able to play them too IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks, I'll start asking around for one. I thought that they would be like rocking horse droppings these days.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

With a Video8 playback device.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or, in the spirit of the group, make one.

Reply to
Jules

recoverable situation. Many thanks.

The owner is a lovely man and I don't want to let him down.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I knew they were available, but...

I think my best option is Jim's suggestion and side step the responsibility of destroying video that was taken of his g daughters in

1985.

Never take a step forward, that you cannot take back is my motto.

Dave

Down to the local camera shop in the morning. Thanks all.

Reply to
Dave

I'm sure an angle grinder could form the basis.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They do come up on Ebay from time to time. But 'deck' versions never caught on in the UK.

Surprised it wasn't transferred before?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have one that I took apart. It looks like this:

anyone know how to put it back together again?

Reply to
Matty F

I had some old cine film done at Jessops, and they charge per spool, regardless of how much footage it contains. Providing there aren't too many bits and pieces, it doesn't work out that expensive.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Gaffer tape.

Reply to
Adrian C

I found out at lunchtime that the person that wants me to copy them gave the video camera to his son. And guess what? He still has it with the leads and PSU :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That is also an interesting snippet of info. I'll try them too, before I get hold of the original camera. I tend to favour putting the responsibility on someone else's shoulders on this one. The film was shot in 1985 and the subject is his grand daughters, one of whom has just emigrated to New Zealand to get married.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Matty F writes

Reply to
geoff

And succeeding. The camera still works fine. I will be using it with an infrared strobe flash to record the licence plates of vandals and robbers. The old Sonys have a remarkable zoom and good optics.

Reply to
Matty F