help with sony camera attachment

I mentioned to a drinking companion that I am transferring all my videos to DVD and he has asked to to transfer some video from video 8 cassette, that was taken in 1985, of his grand daughters. He has got the camera from his son, who gave it to me, but I have run into a problem with the RF adaptor that plugs into the camera that has the output for the video signal. His son can't find it.

Camera is a Sony CCD-V8AF-E

The RF adaptor is a is a Sony RFU-85

It plugs into the side of the camera, close to the back, on the right hand side of control panel at the back of the camera and I would imagine it to be roughly the size of a large pack of cigarettes, but about twice as thick. From the look of the sketch in the camera manual, it has four coax, or phono plug sockets on it. His son thinks that it might have got lost when his grand son may have used it for his play station1 machine.

Does anyone know if the RF unit would be compatible with a PS1? If it is, there will be a much better chance of me finding one via the games shops.

I know that the cassettes can be sent away and recorded to DVD, but he will only do this as a last resort. He fears losing them in transit.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well seeing as this is a DIY group them maybe make up a lead based on the pin-out data given here:-

'd only upconvert back to RF and then back down again as a last resort.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Many thanks for that link. I didn't want to go that far, but I think I have the pin sockets to make up a lead to extract the data. The owner is well into his seventies and wants to pass on the video to his g daughters.

Anyone else got any info, before I get my soldering iron out?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

When you finally make that DVD, make a copy to DVD-RAM as well as ya other more player accessible DVD-formats. The longevity of standard DVD-R unfortunately isn't that great, and ye may find the original tapes might outlast those (though not necessarily the hardware to play them!)

Reply to
Adrian C

Have a chat with the lot on this site.....

V good advice :-) I hadn't thought of that Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have had a quick look and solved another problem going there. I'll take another look after I get some food in me.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave