Copper pipe failure

All my DIY life i've talked myself out of using plastic pipe and/or speedfit joints where pipework isn't easily accessible.
So I was quite pissed off when the contents of our CH system were running down an inside wall recently.
Upon pulling up carpet and floorboards I found a small hole in the pipe and Googling since has suggested that this isn't uncommon.
Just thought i'd chuck that out there in case anyone has a plumbing job coming up, copper isn't the job for life i'd assumed.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:55:02 +0100, R D S wrote:

There's a thread on here from 1st October about pin holes in copper pipe, you must have missed it.
--
TOJ.

On 11/10/18 17:28, The Other John wrote:

So there is, I don't come in here often enough to keep up with all the posts. You lot have a lot to say!
R D S formulated the question :

There was discussion earlier of 1980's copper pipe eventually developing pinholes, due to faulty manufacture. What year was it installed and was the leak where the pipe might have rubbed against anything, as it expanded and contracted?
On 11/10/18 17:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I now see.

Nightmare.

'97/98 although in a backwater like this I could imagine the merchant having sat on it for some time.
We are about to do some extensive redecorating, I might replace the lot!
R D S explained :

All the heating HW and CW pipes in my home were installed in the early 1980's and I have had no problems with leaks at all. Your problem might just be an isolated pin hole, or just a single section of pipe in your system, which didn't meet the specs. Seems a shame to go to all the time and expense of replacing all of it for a single pinhole.
R D S formulated the question :

There was discussion earlier of 1980's copper pipe eventually developing pinholes, due to faulty manufacture. What year was it installed and was the leak where the pipe might have rubbed against anything, as it expanded and contracted?
On 11/10/2018 16:55, R D S wrote:

In soft (or "aggressive") water areas, pin holes after decades are not unknown. Then again we live in a hard water area, and:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/The_tale_of_the_rubbing_pipe
--
Cheers,

John.
Was it you that posted about this a couple of weeks ago here with a pin hole in a pipe when people suggested a particular vintage of pipes were prone to this issue? Brian
--
----- --
On Thursday, 11 October 2018 16:55:05 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

Copper normally is for life, but the occasional failure occurs.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Lifetime guarantee :-)

--