Cooker hood thermal cutout

I've got a cooker hood, something similar to

that has recently started turning itself off after about 5 minutes use, then coming back on again a bit later. I assume it's some kind of thermal cutout mechanism like eg a hairdryer has.

I've cleaned the filters (it's ducted outside, so I'm not using the carbon recirculation filters) and checked that the fan itself seems to run freely, which it does.

Any ideas what could cause this? I don't mind taking it apart and cleaning/replacing anything, but I don't really know what to look for... I wonder if anyone has had this problem before?

Reply to
Matthew

I dont know either - is the motor covered with insulating muck? Does it only do this on the max speed setting, or on all? (Only on max might suggest a partial short)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks for the reply and good question - it has 3 levels, I usually use it on max no 3. It seems to run fine on no 2 for as long as I like

- then when I turn it up to 3 and it turns off after about 2 mins, until such time as it (presumably) cools down and then starts again.

Any ideas? It would be a major PITA to have to replace it :(

Reply to
Matthew

I'd be surprised if it has. A hairdrier or fan heater has an obvious need for one - but a plain fan not. More likely to be protected by a thermal fuse in the windings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Page 23 of the instruction manual (linked from above) says that if it stops during operation, the safety cutout has probably tripped...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Doesnt it move enough air left on 2?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ah. Right. Sounds like they've economised on the motor rating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)