Cooker Hood Extractor pipe length

I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

Thanks

Steve Jones

Reply to
Stephen Jones

Have a look at DR Cookerhoods.

They are the distributor for Elica, who make a large proportion of cooker hoods sold in their own name and most other brands.

The web site has spec. sheets.

DR don't sell directly, but you can get the products from TLC Direct.

There are certainly some pokey ones, but be prepared to put in a 120 or 150mm duct rather than 100mm if you can.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

After an extensive search, we bought an Elica (from appliancepeople.co.uk). It's a twin-motor model, and I can with all honesty say this thing sucks! (in a very good way)

Reply to
Grunff

How about adding a auxillary standard in-line fan, wired in parallel to the cooker hood? David

Reply to
Lobster

A couple of things to consider:

  1. Inline fans aren't really designed to cope with the grease that tends to go up a cooker hood.

  1. Most are 100mm, and it's really a good idea to duct in 125 or 150mm for least flow resistance.

Reply to
Grunff

Bad idea unless you get a large duct size one like a Vent Axia commercial type.

The main thing is to have a large enough duct to reduce resistance and fan to go with it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

One manufacturer (whose name escapes me at present) has two hoods in their range with external fans. Perhaps you could add the external fan to a conventional (fan in hood) model?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Absolutely, but isn't the switch gear frigging awful! Built like a Fiat not a VW

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I was so concerned I actually opened it up to take a look.

The two switch (slider) knobs sit on top of small metal protrusions which are part of the real switch. A bit like a slide potentiometer and its knob.

The problem is the plastic knobs fit very loosely over the metal switch parts, and are also quite loose in their guide channels. The switches themselves are really quite nice - nice action, seem quite solid.

Reply to
Grunff

This is also Elica

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Think of the poor sod who has to go and fix these damn thinks... ohh dear

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Found the book: De Dietrich 2002/2003 catalogue:

AH4200 external fitment independent motor. 800m3/h extraction rate. AH4100 and 4300 are internal fit versions offering 850m3/h. On the same page is a recommendation to contact Domus Ducting 01799 540 602

Hoods for the above motors are:

HM7990 90 cm island type (use AH4300),

HW8900 90 cm pyramid type (presumably against a wall) (use AH4100 or AH4200)

and HM2600 54 cm filter canopy (i.e. under cupboard mount) or HM2800 72 cm version. (both use AH4100 or AH4200)

HTH

Rgds

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Oh bummer... really?

I fitted one last week as it happens (not with an inline fan), using about

2.5m of 100mm ducting on a standard hood, cos I couldn't find anything wider.

Am I screwed? (no power yet, so haven't tested the setup)

David

Reply to
Lobster

It'll work, but you'd get higher flow rate with bigger duct area. All depends on whether it is adequate for your needs.

A 100mm duct has an area of 7,850mm^2. A 125mm duct has an area of

12,265mm^2. A 150mm duct has an area of 17,660mm^2. Makes a big fifference to the frictional losses, especially round bends.
Reply to
Grunff