converting half-brick wall into 9" wall.

After I have demolished an outhouse, I will have a 9" brick party wall up to the height of my old outhouse flat roof, then a half-brick wall (on the neighbours side, i.e. my "half" of the party wall is missing) up another 4 feet to where it supports the mono ridge of the neighbours outhouse pitched roof. I only just discovered this. The plans are to connect to this party wall with a wall starter and cavity ties, 75mm gap and the a thermal block wall that will make up my internal wall. I need a way of building up my missing half of the top part of the party wall before I can build against it. I cannot brick bond into the top section (well not without worrying the neighbour), so what would be the best way to proceed ? I need some type of wall ties without a cavity between ! Also, the party wall may have minimal foundations - but thats an issue for another time ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Bang some long nails into the existing wall at the mortar height of your new blocks and this should tie the two together nicely.

...Ludwig

Reply to
Ludwig Van Beethoven

... and rust, swell, and break the wall eventually. Wall ties are stainless steel nowadays, specifically to avoid this problem which happened with the old ones.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They make stainless steel nails these days too.

...Ludwig

Reply to
Ludwig Van Beethoven

the other problem with nails is theyre straight, so when the mortar deteriorates, as it does, it will cease to grip the nail ties. This is why ties are shaped as they are. Gay nails would be better. Resin fixed SS threaded rod would also work, but into brick rather than mortar. Another possible might be to make angle ground partial-circle dents in the old mortar, put bent wire ties in and refill with mortar. A proper fixing is best though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This threaded ss rod was what was used in a 4 storey block of flats which had 30cm of fibre cavity wall insulation, I don't know if it was throughout but I could see the rods in the door openings before they were fitted. The inner leaf was high density concrete block and the outer a single brick veneer.

AJH

Reply to
AJH