Controlling humidity in a concrete garage

I started noticing recently steel parts in my garage rustig - also condensation forms on the roof and drip into boxes I have.

I have been insulating the garage (a bit) and say 2-3 nights a week may spend 3-6 hours in there and use an electric fan heater to keep it warm.

I have tried to seal out draughts so this probably doesn't help.

I put a temperature/humidity sensor in there and it says max humidity is 60% and lowerst temp 2.4 deg over the last 1-2weeks - I thought the humidity would have been higher actually.

Anyway what options do I have - I'm thinking maybe some vents I can open when I leave the garage on a night are probably the only cheap option but I guess they would need to be big to get any reasonable airflow into the garage.

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Run a dehumidifier while you are in there instead of a fan heater? Gives you some heat, helps to dry everything out, and gives you a supply of "distilled" water for batteries and steam irons. Often a bit noisy though.

Reply to
newshound

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

I can't see a de-himidifier making much heat - the 3kw electric heater is sometimes on constantly if its near zero outside.

I was trying to avoid a dehimidifier bacause it's expensive to buy and run and takes up space I dont have.

Reply to
405 TD Estate
-

I'd think you have a carp humidity sensor. If it's, let's say 18 degC and 50%, when you're in there, and the temperature falls overnight to

3 degC, I'd think you'd be getting somewhere around 90% in there overnight, depending on the ventilation & outside Rh. Any metal bits at that temperature would probably be below the dew point and you'd get condensation forming on them and rust on steel.

What's the roof made of?

Reply to
Onetap

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Dehumidifier is most effective option. Cheap to buy if you get a used one, but there arent many around so may take a while to get one.

Run cost is minor. A 200w machine on for 1/8th the time is 25w mean, so every 40hrs costs you 10p. And you only need it in winter.

Lots of ventilation is the other option. Wont reduce RH as well, but its cheap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Best to get one which heats as well. Otherwise the coils will freeze.

Reply to
Appin

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

If its that cold you don't need the dehumidifier anyway.

Reply to
dennis