Conservatory Leaking

Hi, I have just inherited a small property and since moving in I have noticed, in the recent wet weather, that the wall of the house and adjoining conservatory wall is wet through (you can actually see it running down the wall), which has also damaged the electrical socket on that wall.

The leak is not coming in through the roof, as the damp only starts about 5 ft up. I have investigated as much as I can and it appears to me that the conservatory gutter is overflowing. The drainpipe is up close to the house wall and it is there where seems to be coming from. I did also catch a worm squeezing through where the sealant on the join is, so I know that that is where the water is coming in. As soon as I get a bit better weather I shall try to sort out the gutters, but I also need to seal all the gaps in the join.

The question I have is, what on earth do I use? I went to B&Q and asked the staff but they didn't really have a clue, as they told me to just waterproof the brickwork. There are so many different products and I have no experience of DIY at all, that I thought I would ask here. I have tried looking at past posts but they all appear to relate to leaking roofs.

I do hope someone can help.

Reply to
Jacky

Hi Jacky,

Look for 'Frame sealant' or similar and apply this in a dry conditions as possible - difficult right now I know! This could be a short term fix of a longer term problem. You might want to find why the gap is occuring. It maybe that the frame is pulling away from the wall due to ground movement. Or it couldbe that the existing sealant has perished in which case the new application should last well. Do add the gutters to the list of things to look at on a regular basis especially if the blockage is likely to stress the sealing again.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That's daft, put on some waterproofs and sort it now. Almost certainly the drainpipe is choked. A conservatory rarely catches enough water to challenge the size of gutter fitted. Try poking something down the drainpipe.

fair enough but that won't stop leaks for long. That job I would leave until better weather.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

It's not the rain that's bothering me it's the wind. I've already had a huge conifer blown down onto my shed, so I think I very small woman up a ladder would offer little resistance to the wind. As soon as it dies down I'll get up there and have a poke around. I'm expecting it to be leaves, so it shouldn't be too hard to shift.

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure as I get to know this house I'll have a lot more questions.

Jacky.

Reply to
Jacky

Sorry I didn't mean to be quite so harsh, just wanted to suggest a better priority.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I didn't think it was harsh, I just didn't want anyone thinking I was a bit of a softy! I've even more things to worry about not as the wind has blown a lot of tiles off my roof.

Hopefully the weather will get a little calmer and I can get to look at the gutter. I've managed to borrow a dehumidifier, so at least I can get the conservatory dried out when it's been fixed.

Again, thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

cheers Jacky.

Reply to
Jacky