Connector blocks

I'm just in the process of rewiring a floor of the house (Part P? Don't ask) and need to extend a couple of lengths of 2.5mm T&E cable. Is it acceptable under IEE regs to use connector blocks?

tia

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead

If you are rewiring then why do you need to extend it??

Reply to
Tim Morley

We've opened up a couple of walls and need to re-route cable.

antony.adshead

Some of the cable is OK, but because we've opened up a couple of walls we need to re-route some cable

antony.adshead

In article , Tim Morley writes

and the helpful response is:

If the joint is to be inaccessible (eg. buried in plaster or under a tiled floor) then you should use solder or crimps, otherwise a protected connector block would be acceptable. Btw, insulation tape does count as acceptable protection, it means in a box.

Reply to
fred

you mean does NOT count I think Fred!

Reply to
Newshound

In article , Newshound writes

Indeed, just testing :-D Thanks,

Reply to
fred

In which case (if classed as 'accessible') it would simply be easier and cheaper to use one of those circular bakelike jobbies ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Yes. Called Junction Boxes. It's what they're for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, just sounded like the OP had an attraction to choccy block so I didn't want to spoil his party. I'm very wary of the circular JBs you mention as I have found many of them to be fragile and poorly made; for anything high current like a ring main I'd rather use a quality choccy block in a box. I've used rectangular 30A JBs from MK and they're fine but cost a fortune.

Reply to
fred

Fair enough :-)

Yes, I've had the brass inserts crack the bakelite if you over(but not by much) tighten the screw. I used some for both TLC and Wilkinsons recently without mishap however.

Reply to
Mark Carver