Condensing flue position advice

Dear all,

I am shortly going to be fitting a condensing combi, and am just deciding where the best location for the flue would be (it's a fanned flue - Glow-worm 38 Cxi).

An annotated pic is here (just under 100k):

the wall is the easiest/cheapest option for me (and is easily over

300mm from the windows) - but I am concerned firstly about the plume on colder days, and about the noise (in the summer, when the windows are open during the night, and the boiler fires up for hot water).

So, the roof is also another option - I need to go up there anyway to take down that unsightly flue from the old boiler - I feel that this would go some way to reducing the noise/nuisance of condensate plume?

Over to you guys - in an ideal situation, which would you choose?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

I'd tend to go for the through the wall position. The plume would be the biggest issue if you had near neighbours but looking at the pic, i cant see a problem,,saves issues with sealing the roof etc,,

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

According to something I read recently on the Cxi you can extend the outlet part of the flue terminal in plastic waste to a better discharge position. I'd like to give you chapter and verse from the Glow-worm website, but unlike the boilers it's a heap of Flash powered junk that won't (for me) go beyond the opening page.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks for your reply - yes you can fit this, I think it's called the 'plume management system' or something fancy like that, but IMHO it looks a little bulky/unsightly so I'd like to stick with either the standard horizontal flue or the vertical roof terminal.

I fitted a fan flue boiler in my old house - I remember the noise from the flue of that, is the Glow-Worm likely to be similar?

Thanks again

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

I agree the boiler itself will make a noise whatever option you choose.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The plume will blow away from the wall and unless it faces another property or is likely to blow over a boundary will not cause any problem. The noise from one of these is minimal and will not cause any problems either. The vertical flue through the roof option is entirely possible but does introduce a weakness in the roof where you have to break into a good roof and achieve a weathertight job on completion. How good a roofer are you? The old KISS principle applies (Keep it simple stupid )

The Glow Worm is an excellent condensing boiler as normal or combi BTW

Reply to
John

Another vote for through the wall...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd be really interested in knowing more about this as my plume doesn't discharge in the ideal place... is this just for Glow-worms? I've checked

to no avail (I got past the FlashCrap and even searched the whole site for the word 'plume': comes up with nothing).

Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

If you go to

this lists the various flue guides, the one I downloaded in particular was:

system was on the last page)PlumbCenter for one can get all the parts on a next day service, as I'm suremany others can.HTHAlex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

Oops a multitude of sins in that post. Firstly, the page seems to re-direct to the main page and I forgot a space in the 2nd link..

that'll work (that's for the Cxi range of boilers I believe)

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)