Condensation and radiator positioning

I have been having problems with condensation on outside walls (solid walls victorian flat downstairs flat), particularly under windows. None of these walls have radiators on them, these ar on internal walls. I wondered if it would be sensible to move the radiators to under the windows, I assume this would warm the walls and the room better. The one place where the radiator is on a outside wall, the bathroom, does not have a problem. Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Jones

Yes, rads should be on the outside walls under the windows to compensate for the regions of greatest heat loss. This is particularly important in buildings with poorly-insulated external walls and windows. They are often installed on internal walls by cheapskate installers to save money, time & effort running pipework to the outside walls.

Reply to
John Stumbles

This would stop the condensation around the radiator but probabaly not further away on the wall. Also I'm guessing you have double glazing so putting the radiators under the windows to balance the heat around the room is less relevant.

I'd say you should remove the damp at source with extractor fans in the bathroom and kitchen, and get a de-humidifier, they are pretty cheap these days.

If that doesnt fix it then maybe you have a rising damp type problem on your ground floor flat. I wouldnt put insulation on the walls like you were thinking of in the other thread.

Increasing ventalation with air bricks which you can fit to any convinient place would be a good long term soulution if you do actualy have condensation problems.

Open fires and gas fires venting to the chimney also reduce damp by cycling the damo air out through the chimney.

The reason your room is not warming properly is most likely because the heat is dissapearing through the uninsulated ceiling into the flat above.

Basil

Reply to
basil

Condensation in the public rooms of a Victorian house is most unusual - unless you have removed the ventilation by blocking chimneys, adding double glazing with no vents, and keep the temperature very low. So the position of the rads is likely to make the very smallest of differences.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)