condensation and radiator

hello the top floor flat we own has developed condensation and mould where the flat roof ceiling meets the external walls.The room has a large radiator but it is placed along an internal wall rather than under the window. Would moving the radiator under the window help prevent the condensation? The ceiling already has an insulated foam wallpaper on it. Is there anyelse we could do?

Any advice gratefully received.

Bella

Reply to
bella2002tii

Are you *sure* that's it's condensation, and that the roof isn't leaking?

How much (if any!) loft insulation have you got *above* the ceiling? Foam wallpaper isn't going to do much to stop the ceiling getting cold if there's insulation above it.

I would address these issues first, before worrying about radiator position.

Reply to
Set Square

Definitely condensation - happens when we get cold weather and not when it rains.

I have no idea about the insulation. How would I check?

Would putting a false ceiling help - keeping moist air away from the cold ceiling?

Thanks

Bella

Reply to
bella2002tii

By looking in the attic!

Far better to stop the ceiling from being cold - by making sure that it's got a good wad of fibreglass insulation above it. [I think 10" is currently recommended - but half that would make quite a difference to the amount of heat escaping through the ceiling, and to the ceiling temperature.]

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks but there is no attic. We're in a top floor flat and above us is the flat roof so there is no attic space.

Bella

Reply to
bella2002tii