Bay Window Ceiling Mould

The bay window ceiling is showing signs of mould spots about to burst through the wallpaper covering. The bay window roof is flat, and tends to be the coldest part of the room in winter (not been able to find the source of the draft).

If it was condensation related though, I would think that the mould would be growing on the surface of the wallpaper, rather than "beneath" it.

This leads me to think that the problem is more likely the roof needs looking at.

The roof looks like it is lead but has been painted over, and the paint is flaking off. In think over the years bits of debris from the main roof falls onto it, and that might have punctured the covering here and there.

I am considering putting a few coats of bitumen paint over it to stop any water possible ingress.

Any advice on what to do on the outside and inside would be much appreciated.

I'd like to avoid having to do any redecoration internally.

Reply to
S R

The roof needs a serious dose of looking at. It's got a leak on it and has previously been painted to stop the water coming in, painting it again will postpone this but you are merely putting off the inevitable, even using bitumen. And BTW, it's the coldest part of the room because there's no insulation 'twixt ceiling and outside

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks Phil.

Regarding the insulation, what would be the best option?

Get the roofer to put a layer underneath the new roof covering?

Or do something internally, which would require redecoration?

Reply to
S R

The way I did it was to remove the PB inside, and put 2" thick celotex type PIR slabes between the rafters, foamed in - then covered in one thickness of vapour barrier PB.

It's not too messy a job[1], and as you may be able to put up a single piece of PB with no joins, you'd get away with painting direct avoiding the cost of a plaster skim.

[1] Except for any foaming in that may be required - that made mre mess and you want plastic down on the floor.

Made a huge difference to mine - used to have major condensation, now the ceiling runs nice and warm.

Don;t forget to include some vents on the outside soffit if possible - one

50mm circular per inter-rafter gap should be enough.
Reply to
Tim Watts

More likely zinc.

I have exactly the same arrangement, and made a new zinc 'tray'. Not actually very difficult if you have basic tools like decent tinsnips and a blowlamp to solder the joints. Best way is to make a template out of cardboard. I actually made it about 30 years ago and it's been fine. These days, I'd draw it out on the computer first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)