Computer question: fragmentation

A relevant question notwithstanding. I don't think current operating systems do anything to prevent you running a defrag on an SSD, which will do nothing, other than shorten the life of the drive.

Reply to
Graham.

SSD or "spinning rust"?

Reply to
Graham.

Why does a back-up program (Acronis) produce so much fragmentation? My external drive is showing 42%. Is it best to defragment the drive periodically or not to defragment it due to the risk of damage occurring during the defragmentation process?

Reply to
Scott

Surely a 'trick' question, SSDs do not require defragmentation .

Reply to
soup

"How to Defragment Your Hard Drive in Windows 10 Open the disk optimization tool by searching for "optimize" or "defrag" in the taskbar. Select your hard drive and click Analyze. Note that if you have a SSD, this option is grayed out and not available."

That's from a Jan 2016 article, so it looks like Win10 has stopped users defragging SSDs for at least the last 4 years.

Reply to
GB

I'm just interested to know why you think the back up program is causing fragmentation? Can you explain, please?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Most likely because that?s all that writes to that particular external drive.

Reply to
Ray

Does the OP know that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you got multiple backup jobs writing to the external disk in parallel?

Reply to
Andy Burns

When a backup program writes only changes to the disc, fragmentation is the inevitable result. If you copy all files to a wiped disc, no fragmentation.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The why depends on the back up process, ie if its only backing up changes its probably selectively removing archives which have altered and then putting new copies back, it will have to fragment them if the size changes. I don't know what disc management is in bespoke back up software. Unless space is short, I'd not bother much, since restoring is not exactly a fast process at any time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yes I never defrag an ssd, though I have learned that defragging the registry seems to help, but other than that I doubt it makes much difference. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

But why would you want to use an ssd for a back in any case? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2

Was scratching my head as to why this fragmentation was a surprise! Agreed.

In my experience, sometimes various log files, which are opened, have a few bytes written, then closed, are the worst individual files.

Also, the fastest defragmentation of such files is to copy the file, delete the old one, and rename the copy.

The fastest defragmentation of a drive which has more than trivial levels of fragmentation, is often to copy the contents to another drive - but it does depend on how you do that.

The simplest way of reducing unavoidable fragmentation is to up the allocation unit size - but that wastes space if there are lots of smaller files.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

it's quite likely the output will be a single huge compressed (encrypted?) file.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I recently replaced the SSD in my desktop PC with a larger SSD (512 rather than the restrictive 128). So I put the old SSD in a USB enclosure. Might well use it for some sort of backup - no other feasible use for it at present.

SSDs are particularly appropriate for file history backups.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

But since SSD are the storage eeuivalent of a Minister Of Defence (here today, gone tomorrow), you back up the SSD on something slightly more reliable, like a conventional hard disk (or 2,3)

Reply to
Andrew

I do! It's a 4TB hard drive.

Reply to
Scott

No expertise to provide a technical explanation. Why I think it is because the back-up is incremental so I assumed this would affect the inital file and create lots of small files. I may be wrong.

Reply to
Scott

Have you got any reference or citation to back this assertion up?

#Paul

Reply to
news19k