Computer data back-up schemes.

I have used Crashplan for many years. I have all my files on a server (old PC) and all devices connect to that. Crashplan runs on that server and backups locally to another driver and to their cloud. You get full version history so can restore any file from any version. Storage is unlimited and it costs $10.99 per month. No extra charges for upload , download restores etc etc. You just install it, say which files you want backed up and it sorts it all out.

I believe if you are only backing up locally it may even be free.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

The trouble with local backup is that it doesn't protect data if your house catches fire - especially if you aren't at home when/if it occurs.

Reply to
charles

I misunderstood what their site still has - viz

"Amazon S3 Glacier (S3 Glacier) provides a management console, which you can use to create and delete vaults. However, you cannot upload archives to S3 Glacier by using the management console. To upload data, such as photos, videos, and other documents, you must either use the AWS CLI or write code to make requests, by using either the REST API directly or by using the Amazon SDKs. "

That's very kind. Please mail to snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com.

Reply to
Robin

I remember Huge well. I'm flattered (I think) to be mistaken for him however briefly given, IIRC, the size of and facilities in his garage.

That's nasty. I'm thankfully not in that or like clinical territory. I just happen to have a long run of data on my cognitive functions.

Reply to
Robin

That documentation is out of date! They don't use vaults any more, but 'buckets'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Huge Rant? I remember him. Enjoyed his rants, too!

He's going to beconme Ironside, is he?

I must say I get great amusement out of these threads where someone asks how to do something (usually on Windows) which on my machine, is essentially trivial, and it blossoms into an endlessly complex set of solutions. I just plug in as it might be a Crucial X8, tell Time Machine to use it for backup, and forget about it. Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not for very long.

Easy enough here too. But my stuff is about off-site backups.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm impressed if you mean Time Machine plugs straight into AWS Glacier storage.

If not then we are quite comfortable using a combination of Windows' File History and SyncBack for local (including local network) and off-site-on-hard-drive backups. Not as simple as Time Machine to set up but then we would want to modify Time Machine's default settings in any event.

Reply to
Robin

A friend of mine died recently from MND. First she had problems talking, so she stopped, then she had problems swallowing, so the had a tube to feed her, then she had problems breathing, and that was that.

About 2 years start to finish.

I must say I get great amusement out of these threads where someone asks how to do something (usually on Windows) which on my machine, is essentially trivial, and consists in running a second machine and using a cron script and rsync to mirror all my data nightly.

All these cloud services are interfaces to Linux servers created for numpties. If you are not a numpty, you can create your own.

And let me tell you, fixing a linux server is a damned sight easier than fixing leaking plumbing...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If my house catches fire I will have a lot of bigger problems than losing 25 year old emails.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I expect the same is true of Windows users in reverse, we're just too polite to say so.

They are "somebody else's computer" and the advantage is they won't burn down when your house does. Creating your own is trivial in Windows too, especially since ex business big iron is so cheap. If it stands next to your computer though it will go up in the same fire.

Same with Windows for Windows users, with the advantage that if there is a problem you pull the drives and stick them in another Windows machine.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

This is doing a one-off Full on Macrium.

The last time I did this, the output was a bit less than 4TB. Because this is effectively my NAS, the partitions are relatively full.

[Picture]

The backup partition in the example picture, is not big enough to hold the backup, and the destination partition is selected purely for taking photos. The real backup drive is left disconnected when not in usage (ransomware).

You can store your backup, onto the source drive, for staging if you want, but that is (naturally) a "not recommended" config. This is why there are all those tick boxes, so you can do goofy things if you want.

*******

The real destination drive, is a helium-filled one (my first such drive). Previous drives were 6TB WD Black air-breathers. Purchased because they were available at a local store (can get one when you need one).

[Picture]

The Helium drive has a pressure sensor, in SMART. Or so it is claimed. I haven't checked for it yet. The gas is "guaranteed to stay in for five years" :-) That's why the drive on the right has two lids. Neither of which is as gas-tight as a gas cylinder. The gas is actually held in by a "miracle adhesive". The welding used, is purely for show. The adhesive does the real work.

What's weird about the Helium technology, is it should allow a wider operating range for altitude, but the drive is still only "specced to work in Denver" and cannot be used on top of Mount Everest. A technical benefit of Helium (for me), is no longer worrying about the effects of room Relative Humidity on drive operation. Disk issues here in the past, have correlated with humidity control in the room. The HDA on the left-most drive, runs at atmospheric pressure, and a hepafilter under the breather hole, removes smoke particles but still would allow moisture ingress if moisture is present long enough. The HDA equalizes to the atmosphere as it runs, so "breathes in and out" as high and low pressure weather systems pass overhead.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I keep accounts for a small charity - that's why I need 'safe' back-ups.

Reply to
charles

I back up to my own external USB hard drives. I only have two copies: the "live" copy and the backup. I should really alternate between two backup drives so I have a total of three copies of anything important. The backup drives live in another part of the house, rather than right next to the computer, which may slightly increase the chance of them surviving if there is a fire. Ideally I should keep them in the fire safe in the garage, but it is a nuisance to have to go outside, bring the drive(s) in for making the backups and then taking them back outside again afterwards - every day.

I do have cloud backups (Dropbox) of a few key files, but that is more so I have access to them when I'm away from home rather than primarily as a safety backup.

Cloud storage is fine, but it is *very* slow to make the initial full copy, over a 30 Mbps (down) / 10 Mbps (up) VDSL link, especially backups of large files like video files (typically 500-1500 MB) and Outlook .pst file (because Microsoft choose to merge all the messages into one file rather than having separate files for each email folder or even each message, so you have to back up a multi-MB file even when there has been a single new email message - not a very sensible architecture!).

I use Microsoft SyncToy for doing incremental backups (ie only back up files which have changed, not backing up everything every time). I'm sure there are newer programs which do the same job, maybe better. But I'm staying with what works.

I have separate drives for:

- digital photos

- TV programmes that I have recorded

- WP documents, emails, iTunes music and a few other things

I also use SyncToy to keep the WP docs folders synchronised between my desktop and laptop PCs.

Reply to
NY

can do that in Linux, too

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for this heads up about Amazon S3, It is a very good price, 120GB uploaded now.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Shout if you'd like my S3 Deep Archive crib sheet.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks, but it all seems very easy to use. Just ensure Glacier Flexible Retrieval is selected when a file is uploaded.

Reply to
Paul Herber

I'm still pondering Amazon but at $0.0036 a month per GB the Flexible is more than 3 times the "stupidly cheap" S3 Glacier /Deep/ Archive, and I'm looking at a minimum 4 TB

Reply to
Robin

I should have made it clear. My crib sheet is for the AWS CLI. That's easy for bulk retrieval.

Reply to
Bob Eager