Compressors - recommendations?

I am looking to buy an air compressor for use with a nailer etc. What would the "team" recommend? I know nothing about them and see in the Screwfix catalogue that there are both horizontal and (back page) a vertical one.

TIA

Francis

Reply to
Ziggy

Do you just want to use it for a nailer or do you want to use it for spraying as well.?

If it's only for low air use tools like nailers, then a compressor with a small receiver like 10 litres will do the job.

If you want to do a bit of light spraying and perhaps a pneumatic socket driver then a 25 litre type is suitable.

If you want to do serious spraying or use air tools like sanders and grit blasters which use a lot of air then a 100litre model is appropriate.

I have a small SIP 25 litre one which I use as a portable, but have recently bought one of their larger 100 litre models for the workshop so I may well sell the small one.

Both have been fine for their intended purposes. These, like most compressors that you see in places like MachineMart and other places are made in Italy and are reasonably good. You can obviously pay more for a UK made one.

Look out for the motor as well as the receiver size, because that matters as well.

It doesn't matter that much whether you go for a horizontal or vertical type - really a question of what fits the space and requirements.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

How much do you want for it Andy? Sounds like it might be a good replacement for my 10L manual control one...

(depending on the answer to the above Ziggy, I might be able to offer you a small 1.5HP 10L compressor for a knock down price ;-) Ideal for nailing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Fine......sounds like a house selling chain :-))

Reply to
Ziggy

I hadn't really thought about it John.

It's a Tornado 21025

it cost about £110 IIRC, and hasn't had heavy use - mainly nailers and light tools. I've added an oiler to the outlet so that nailers don't require separate lubrication when used.

The main issue would be the cost of transportation. Although quite small, it weighs 25kg. Perhaps something could be worked out there.

If it sounds interesting, drop me an email.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Drop me an email if you are keen, and we can work out a price.

Reply to
John Rumm