Compression vs. push-fit fittings?

If the pipe you're working on is 50mm away from your gas pipe then you should be able to solder it quite safely if you use a heat shield such as a glass-fibre mat to protect the gas pipe from the flame.

Reply to
John Stumbles

With one of the pipes, it was about 20cm away - we used a heat mat draped over it just in case and tried to keep the flame in a different direction. Still not my idea of fun though! Naked flames are never a good thing around gas (it was about 60cm away from the back of the boiler too ... you wouldn't want a leak!). The other pipes were just too close - used compression fittings instead.

al

a year, all due to plastic plumbing with push fittings. There must have been 50-100 of them in the house, what's the statistical chance that one will pop again in the next few years? Pretty high I think. If I have to use one or two on retrofits then maybe, but I don't care what Yorkshire Fittings say, personally I'd say no way in hell I'll ever use plastic plumbing with push fittings again to any serious degree.

In my previous new house build (France) the plumbers arrived with rolls (rolls, not lengths) of copper pipes. Not a single connector anywhere except for three distribution points and the taps/radiators. And not a single leak in the four years we spent there.

Why plumbers in this country still insist on dodgy joins every ~2m of plumbing installations in brand new houses is a mystery to me.

Reply to
hansen