Completely and utterly OT - People annoy me

Don't know off the top of my head, but it's on the 2011 year planner which is next to the telephone for such purposes.

At the moment I have no engagements booked after May 2011 if anyone wants to make me a good offer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Dave Liquorice" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The weekend before the Royal Wedding, which is the Friday of Mayday weekend...

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed. My brother organised a Xmas lunch at an hotel for his also retired teacher colleagues. The price he was given per head was based on numbers. About a third didn't turn up leaving him to make up the shortfall. True the weather was bad - but he made it from as far away as the others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is he under 30? I remember in ye olden dayes before mobile phones I used to plan my social life a week ahead - might agree to meet someone in the George and Dragon at 7pm next Thursday, and we would both be there (give or take ten mins). Now no one under 30 will commit to anything more than 6 hours away, and even then there probably won't be a definite time, you'll just text when you're nearby. Everything is fluid. Even if you can persuade anyone to agree to something next Thursday it will be the vaguest of commitments and is likely to be dropped if something better comes up, or just because they forgot. No point fighting it, that's just how people organise their lives.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

It sounds very much like a "no" to me too. In other words, although he is interested, he's not keen enough to make a commitment at this stage.

So it means "no", but not in the sense of "no I don't fancy it" but more like "if you need to get the tickets now, then don't get one for me; but if, come April, I'm still at a loose end, and tickets are still available, I may well join you".

I've never heard of this opera singer either. I certainly wouldn't fancy a whole evening of listening to one person sing highlights, I'd rather see a whole opera.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Well, yes, that's how we've left it. I didn't get a ticket for him but he'll come if tickets are still available and he can make it. The point I don't understand about it all though is that we're very big fans of Paul Rodgers and would normally crawl over broken glass to get a ticket. 6 of us (7 including myself) have bought tickets, 3 others would do but already know they can't make it due to other committments and he just doesn't know.

I'm sure there should have been a smiley in there because Paul Rodgers is far from an opera singer, as you'd know if you googled his name. Paul Rodgers was frontman of the legendary Free, Bad Company and now Queen - and his tour will include hits from all three era's.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

"Broken glass", eh? Then why didn't the 3 others unmake their commitments? Maybe they've grown out of the phase during which that kind of stuff appeals to them.

It's a disgrace what they let into opera houses these days. Wild horses, wouldn't be seen dead, etc.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Not at all. They're firemen and already have their rosters/shift patterns set out. All three are on the same watch and can't get anyone to swap with them. The guy in question though, is in a steady 9-5 job and knows there won't be any work committments stopping him from going.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

In article , Pete Zahut writes

Move on, he's going to be so f'ckd off when you all tell him how good the gig was, his loss.

Reply to
fred

I'm trying to but people keep replying to the threads! :o)

he's going to be so f'ckd off when you all tell him how good

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Line drawn (under it) - no need to reply :-) ____________________________________________________________

Reply to
fred

Having just had a look at Blackpool Opera House forthcoming shows I can assure you that you are very unlikely to see an opera there.

Not many people want to watch the fat lady sing.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No, but there's a niche market if she takes her clothes off as well

Owain

Reply to
Owain