Commercial toilet zoning

A bit outside the usual d-i-y issues but I need to provide washing facilities in a toilet used by commercial tenants/visitors. The current arrangement is a separate part of the building with a basin and hot water geyser.

The issue has come about because I want to bring the facilities nearer to the 21st century rather than what the previous owners built in 1960! The plan is to re-develop the existing wash area to include a toilet suitable for disabled/mixed use.

I have re-purposed a second hand sink/drainer unit to fit in the toilet space but need to provide a hot water source.

Zoning regulations seem little concerned with toilets! My plan is to install an expansion vessel, pressure reducing valve and an undersink water heater. This will require an electrical supply and I plan a 13 amp socket outlet in the sink cabinet.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Lack of visible heater may raise visitors' expectations to lashings of hot warer, one of these will keep them suitably low!

Andy Burns

Don’t forget the ‘This hot water is hot’ notice…

Reply to
Spike

If it's a disabled toilet then I don't think you're allowed[*] for the water to be hot, it should regulated down to a non-scalding temperature - 41C here:

Maybe you can get instant hot water heaters with a thermostatic limit? Might need to be more fancy that the 'shove 13A through an element and control temperature by water flow' variety. Looks like you can:
Theo

[*] I'm not sure if this is an actual law or not, or just a recommendation.
Reply to
Theo

I have used something similar in the garage for 10 years. It does a good job, particularly with the spray head.

What might be an issue for the OP, if public loos I've used are anything to go by, is that so many people can't be bothered to turn the water off when they've finished washing. That's bad enough with a large tankful of hot water, but with a 3kW supply going continuously you could be running through a pound an hour! Are there any with built-in timers?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Ok all. My main interest was electrical safety rules for what may be a

12 month installation.

The Triton is a step forward from the existing 1960's Heatrae Sadia water heater but I already have the undersink unit, expansion chamber and pressure reducer together with a sink unit fitted with separate hot/cold taps.

Reply to
Tim Lamb