Comet

It's not that simple.

You have to delve through lots of case law too which has established more precise rules than are written into the Act. For new car sales, via case law, there's a six month limit to reject and the retailer is entitled to 3 goes at repairing a fault. You won't find that mentioned in the Act though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Precisely, the devil is always in the fine print: In practice one simply gives up shopping where the vendor is pushing the limits towards short term profit and away from customer satisfaction.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess experience has taught them that many appliances are badly connected or damaged by the installer. The fault could (for example - be a bad connection in the consumer unit)

Reply to
John

I agree.

Comet's policy and response seem perfectly reasonable.

Reply to
Bruce

It has a 13 Amp plug on the end of the flex cable and all other aspects of it work fine.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I believe you - but I still see logic in Comet's policy. Some DIY installations leave a lot to be desired.

Reply to
John

So....

Every other aspect of the appliance works fine, but one.

This is not a diy installation. I buy a toaster and get hold of the 13 amp plug at the end of the wire and plug it in. What is the difference?

Dave, giving up.

Reply to
Dave

The most common cause of "dead" ovens is the user moving the timer delay control (which hardly any one uses) so the oven doesn't switch on. I'm not suggesting that is the cause here but it may help explain why the supplier wants to look at it first :-)

Reply to
Peter Parry

We tend to buy all our domestic appliances from a local retailer (Stellisons). excellent service and always keen to price match (even the Internet).

In August we ordered a Liebherr Frost Free Fridge Freezer that was delivered early Sept (our choice for delivery date, which was free and included a Saturday delivery). Noticed after a while (3-4 weeks) that the drawers in the Freezer were icing up and it seemed exceptionally cold in there (more than -18c). Spoke to the shop who suggested we call for an engineer. Engineer arrived and diagnosed a faulty 'board' that was causing the device to thaw out too much and then freeze too much (no idea on the correct terminology). The engineer ordered the parts, but suggested we contact the shop again as to update them and advise that we were unhappy with the product as it had been sold to us as very reliable. Did this and the shop arranged a replacement Fridge Freezer (same make/model) to be delivered 2 weeks later (again on a Saturday).

Can see us getting the same type of service out of Currys or Comet.

Reply to
John

If one example of a 'said to be very reliable' model breaks down what's to say the replacement will be any better?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is that - but sometimes everything/one has the potential to fail at something. The point in question here is the service you get and not the reliability of the product.

Reply to
John

attempt to

Thanks for those corrections. I'd noticed the satisfactory/ merchantable change and wondered when that crept in, lazy use of language on my part I'm afraid.

The changes surrounding allowing an attempt to repair not preventing ultimate rejection had competely passed me by.

Reply to
Calvin

What's to say it won't be?

What if I but a brand said to be poor quality but get excellent results? Does that mean the next one will be the same?

A sample of one is insufficient to draw any conclusion either way.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q