combo hot water tank supplies meager flow

All mains pressure HW tanks have immersion backup as well as primary coils. Some are immersion only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not seen mentioned yet that since it is gravity fed from a tank, there might be the possibility of adding a pump after the cylinder to boost water pressure and flow rate.

You would, of course, have to be sure that the cold inlet to the small header tank could match the new faster outflow.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

and that is a serious problem

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apologies for lack of quoting Mike, posting from my phone.

That type of tap is almost certainly designed for high pressure supplies, not a gravity system.

Take care when choosing a new tap as HP ones now great outnumber the availability of LP ones.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks Tim, I'm now on Amazon looking at the low pressure taps on offer.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Good to know, thanks. I'm aiming for the simplest solution just now, which may well be a new low pressure tap.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

If the new tap doesn't do the trick, that may be an easier option than a new water heating system. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yup, while an immersion (or better a pair of then) is a reasonable approximation of the performance of an old Y plan system, with a relatively slow recovery, its nothing close the the reheat rate on a modern cylinder when allowed the full output of the boiler.

They can be a bugger to get out. Leaving water in the tank when starting to free it helps - the weight makes it less likely to buckle. Some also suggest slogging the spanner rather than applying a continuous torque will help break it free with less chance of a buckle.

Perhaps its time to consider a switch to an unvented cylinder?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, there are... many have provision for at least a couple of immersion heaters.

John Rumm

I had a case on a low head system once where the flow rate from the hot tap suddenly got worse in use. You could also hear a metallic "tinkling" sound for a few seconds each time you turned the tap on. It was also noticeable the flow rate was quick for the first few seconds until the tinkling stopped.

In the end we discovered the brass pip at the bottom of the washer assembly that is supposed to hold the washer in place, had sheared off, and managed to fall down the supply pipe. Each time you turned the tap on it would be swept back to the inlet of the tap and partially block it, then fall back down the pipe again when the flow was turned off. Once we flushed that out, it was much better!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, not a traditional washer at all. Also likely to be high pressure only.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just a thought, but does the plastic go all the way to the tap, or does it have a metal-braided flexi tap connector? The inner on those can swell and seriously reduce the flow......

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim White