Combi Drill quickie

Looking at buying a new cordless Combi Drill/Driver.

The lawson catalogue has the Makita 8434DWFE 14.4V at =A3198 which has max 70nm of torque and the AEG(Milwaukee?) SB2E18STX =A3161 with 61nm of torque.

Is the Makita worth the extra =A337 squid???

thanks for any contributors

Reply to
Graham.mead

Ooops Forgot to mention I'm not a pro user but it'll be given some heavy usage in various diy projects (renovating house etc) and I'd like to be still using it in 5 years time!

Reply to
Graham.mead

Looking at buying a new cordless Combi Drill/Driver.

The lawson catalogue has the Makita 8434DWFE 14.4V at £198 which has max 70nm of torque and the AEG(Milwaukee?) SB2E18STX £161 with 61nm of torque.

Is the Makita worth the extra £37 squid???

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The 84xx series Makitas have a very good reputation and are built to last. The Milwaukee is also better than any of the DIY class tools, although perhaps not quite in the Makita league. Spares for the Makita are also more readily available since AEG don't have such widespread distribution as yet in the UK.

On torque, either is in the more than adequate range. My 2 speed 18V combi has about the same torque as the the AEG and I have not found anything it can't do as such. The 14.4V Makita has a smaller motor but compensates with a third speed in the gearbox which is what gives it the torque advantage.

The main difference between them is battery capacity. The AEG has 2Ah cells and the Makita 3Ah, so on this alone I would opt for the Makita, since you will get longer run time and the capacity is also usually a good indication of the overall cell quality.

Note also that the AEG lacks a side handle (or facility to fit one), which can making handling the high torque a problem in some situations.

Reply to
John Rumm

Graham,

Do you really need cordless would not a vastly cheaper corded drill and an extension lead do? cant say ive ever ever need a powerfull cordless for DIY. low power ones are handy and cheap, but proper ones are horrendus money.

The lawson catalogue has the Makita 8434DWFE 14.4V at £198 which has max 70nm of torque and the AEG(Milwaukee?) SB2E18STX £161 with 61nm of torque.

Is the Makita worth the extra £37 squid???

thanks for any contributors

Reply to
kevin foote

Yes, I think so.

Milwaukee is the top end of Techtronic Industries brands and is certainly a stage or two up from the typical DIY store junk like Ryobi and PPPro.

Makita spares are readily available and the drills perform well, accurately and comfortably. I have the forerunner of the 14.4v model that you mention (with NiCd batteries) and it has performed well with quite rough treatment on occasions. More recently I bought the

18v NiMH one, and that is also a pleasure to use.
Reply to
Andy Hall

Perhaps you'd give us all the reasons for this statement? Personal experience? No? So situation normal. Stick to PP stuff from B&Q, pet. Well good enough for the likes of you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is made to a high quality. Boy is this one dumb!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Exactly how many power tools has this buffoon been buying in the last few months? I bet he can break anything, including the red crayon the psychiatric nurses allow him lest he harm himself with a pencil. I expect a post asking what sort of writing implement is best for padded walls.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

flatulence wrote:

I don't know. The level senility can take hold is really for experts to assess. He is to be seen wandering around B&Q shouting out loud. Care in the community has really been a failure.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The quotes here seem to have been edited somewhat. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)