Combi drill - again

stuart noble wrote:

Its a way of upping the energy density of the pack and is nice marketing hook as well. IME an 18V makita will do everything you can think of, and the 14.4V will do nearly everything!
(in everything I include mix a large bucket of plaster or quick levelling, turn a 127mm hole saw, or a board access saw, drill a 50mm hole into end grain using an expansive bit etc along with drill holes and drive screws)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 04:39:19 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

My 13 yo Bosch 7.2V still drills well, but its main advantage is the 'feel' when using sub-4mm bits, where a full combi would break them before I know that there's any stress.

Even the Powercraft with its dying battery managed 40-off 50mm holes with a saw in 3mm hard ply. This might seem OK, but the charging time is close to 2 hours instead of 1 hour and the battery will lose a lot of its charge in a few weeks. This means that when I do go to use the drill, there's not much in the batteries but I don't want to charge one whilst it still has 50%-plus in it.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
PeterC wrote:

The clutch on mine is very repeatable, and can be set to a very low torque if required - so you may find it less of a problem than you expect.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:19:25 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

It's not so much that aspect of it, John, but just the difference between 2kg and 800g with a small bit. The 'feel' of a heavier drill can lead to breaking the bit before one is aware of it (especially after a few pints of 7% organic cider!).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
PeterC wrote:

I take your point, but in practice have never found it a problem - even using say 1/2" no 4 screws. The speed control is very good - so in low gear it will spin at about 20-30 rpm with usable torque. If in doubt set the clutch to low and then tweak it up to find out where "enough" is for the screw in question.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Well exactly, so there's no point in going over 12 volts unless you're doing some of the above on a regular basis. That said, I've regretted not being able to drill into masonry when doing electrical work with the mains turned off.
I remember watching a guy removing electrical screws from a light switch with an enormous Hilti cordless. He was doing maintenance on a council estate, and I think he only carried the one tool. Very delicate it was too.
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:29:29 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Council 'worker' and delicate - must have been a pneumatic drill ;-)
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Or get a 12v Festool to do that. Alan.

A.Lee wrote:

Their brushless motors and range of add on chucks / offset / angle drives etc make them very nice for delicate screwdriving operations. Another jump from Makita in price mind you...
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:45:36 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31544/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Site-SMB800-14-4V-Cordless-Combi-Drill
Have a look - bloody well gone down to 50 quid! Tomorrow... :-)) (Might all have gone by then).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

39.98 ATM.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:16:02 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

Oops - yes, that's the 14.4V link - the 18V is 60.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
PeterC wrote:

I almost picked one up today, but then I walked on by. My old Kress 12 volt, and the batteries, are still in great shape after what must be at least 8 years
PeterC wrote:

There's a huge difference between budget and quality NiCads. I can't remember when I last charged my DeWalt (been over a year), but had to swap to the spare battery this w/end whilst hole-sawing through a cabinet. The original battery I've used randomly during this time, and the second has been boxed, probably for well over a year.
Never tried the Makita but at that price it has to be worth a punt.

Like much else there are Ni-Cads and Ni-Cads. Good ones are better than mediocre ones of whatever is the latest fashion.
--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

I have just replaced my ten year old Bosch PSB 24VE-2 with another one I got for 100 at B&Q. 24v NiCd. Unfortunately they seem to be about 150 best price at the moment.
The old one is still in use but has started to jump out of gear. I have given it sporadic hard use (e.g. 2' long 3/4" masonry bit) and it looks scruffy but rarely needs the 1hr charge, even now. I would recommend them, although I haven't tried the competition.
Pete
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:54:57 -0700 (PDT), peteshew wrote:

I like Bosch, especially the 3-yr. warranty (Makita is only 1 yr.).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Is the Bosch one unconditional? Their tools tend to be of the DIY variety whereas Makita pro.
--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:56:41 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Don't know. Aren't blue Bosch of Pro. quality?
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Yes, the green are DIY - I was fooled by the title of the ng. I think the blue are pro, they are more expensive certainly.
Pete