Combi boilers - latest models?

Hi, I'm looking for a combi boiler (condensing probably) and wondered if all boilers rated the same gave roughly the same flow rate at the the same temp rise. What is there to chose between them? Also does anyone have any recommendations for good models. We have a small house, but a big cast iron bath so need a reasonable flow rate - I was thinking 32kW - any advice greatfully received,

Rich

Reply to
r1chardowen

Wall mounted Alpha CD50 will fill the bath no problem and fast. Other wall mounted job is Eco-Hometec. There are floor mounted high flow combis: Gledhill Gulfstream, Viessmann 333, Worcester-Bosch, Ideal Istore, ACV Heatmaster.

Other combis with a 40kW ratings will give a decent flow, but no more. You could buy the MAN Micromat at 76kW but your gas supply will need uprating.

Another option is a small CH system boiler for CH only and have a high flowrate Japanese Rinnai multi-point water heater.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Our plumber recommended and fitted an Ideal ISAR 35 for our 2-bed terrace:

35kW for hotwater / 23 kW for the Central heating

Fills the roll-top bath fast enough

Reply to
charlieB

New rules? It didn't last time......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Monday morning so Matt is babbling. Matt, what are you on about?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You had better ask Matt.

The question that I was asking, was that in the past, you have always suggested that gas supplies can be used substantially beyond their specified rating.

Now it appears that you've changed your tune....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ive just bought a Alpha CD32C from

boiler great flow rate. Ive got a two bed semi so wanted a lot of hotwater. If you buy it through the above site you get it a good price. Just need to find someone to fitit. The Alphas have a 3 year warrenty. I had shortlisted Alpha and Ideal, Rang both companies alpha answered the phone Ideal didnt. Alpha have a service enginear living in the same town as me, Ideal didnt. That sealed for me. Regards

darren

Reply to
darren_forward

If you're changing from a storage system, check your mains cold water flow rate. What dribble conveniently ignores when quoting adverts is that many parts of the country have mains flow rates so poor that a large combi won't perform to spec.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That is technically so, and was teh case when the old gas boards were in charge.

Nope. The privateers want you to pay for a larger meter.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So which is it then?

Does the supply need to be upgraded or not? If it does, why didn't it last month when you said that it didn't?

Also, are you saying or implying that the old gas boards condoned use of their equipment and supplies beyond specification?

The supply pipes and the meters didn't suddenly change at the time of privatisation, so if it was technically possible then (even if not to spec) to use the supply beyond its rated capacity, it must still be now. It doesn't appear that Transco employ an army of police to check into installations of 76kW boilers on domestic supplies.

Just saying that the "privateers" want you to pay for a new meter is not an answer to that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Helped by its 52 litre store. Despite its name it is only a 32kW combi. A W-B 40HE actually delivers 39.1kW. Someone with time on their hands will be able to tell the OP which will fill the bath more quickly.

Dave Plowman's comment re mains flow should not be ignored.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Matt, if I was installing the combi for myself I would not upgrade the meter.

Within specs.

No, the focus on ripping you did though.

It is.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Alpha will. You judge combis by flowrate, the Alpha will fill the bath faster. Got it?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OK, but that was not the question.

So have the specs changed?

Did the spec. change?

You have evaded the question as usual.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, the answer was clear. How is it down the the clinic?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

None of the above - something with huge quantities of proper hot water storage beats them hands down :-)

Reply to
Matt

Lord Hall, wrong again. The Man Micromant 76kW gives about 30-35 litres/min of hot water.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Indeed. On dribble's planet all mains water is at 5 bar+. But in his own flat the combi is fed from a header tank. Wonder what this tells everyone?

FWIW in the this part of S London it is poor - even with new plastic mains into the house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You wouldn't need to given you already have about the smallest one made. How about some views based on experience rather than adverts? Some chance...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)