Colour flagging of wires

Ozone and nitrous oxides will hurt it too. Keep it away from HT electrics, laser printers etc. Simple moisture doesn't help either, although much less rapidly. Keep it in a tin with a bit of silica gel and it lasts for years (I'm reworking '50s vintage ex-RAF kit and the rubbers are still OK).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

One bloke I worked with had the charming habit of simply spitting into the sleeve. It worked, too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Of course the alternative PVC ain't perfect either - although of course it survives well in normal domestic use. But PVC wiring in cars cracks and falls apart after not that many years where it's exposed to heat and vibration.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have to admit that's what I use for sleeving domestic cable. Works fine if you use the right size sleeve. But for electronic stuff where it's likely a tighter fit you still need the correct lubricant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I won't try and argue what it *should* be - I guess most people will come up with "the colour I was first taught". I will however repeat the mnemonic I was told for remembering it:

It's that colour, because if you touch it, it will knock the shit out of you.

Not suitable for repeating to great-aunt Agatha, but any school children you know will love it (and more importantly, /remember/ it).

Reply to
Martin Bonner