Cold water tank rubber valve replacement

Our cold water tank has started overflowing, so this morning, up in the loft, water off, partially drained cold tank, removed end cap from valve, removed split pin, wiggled the float arm out and removed the slider thingy which has a rubber washer in the end. The washer looks to be extremely worn, but how do I get it out of the slider? More to the point, how do I get a new one in? Once out, is it just a rubber disc?

Thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

Mine is, but the real issue last time was the scale build up in the valve causing it to not close correctly and leak. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The end with the washer seemingly embedded in it actually unscrews, although it's not obvious. If you look carefully you may be able to see a parting line about 1 cm back from the end. I use a mole wrench to hold the body, and pliers to hold the end piece, and turn them. Other gripping devices are available. But it may not be easy, as these things tend to seize up over time. When you've got them apart and removed the washer, it's common practice just to turn it over and re-insert it, although that does depend on someone not having done that already in the past, which should be apparent from the condition of the reverse side. When you re-assemble it, put some grease on the thread to make it a little easier next time.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You can dig it out with a sharp instrument and then cut a standard tap washer down to size and force that in.

However a complete new ball valve/float assembly is only about a tenner, so you could just replace the entire slider and outer enclosure since the threads will be standard.

Reply to
Andrew

In message , Chris Hogg writes

Thank you chaps, panic over. Went to the local ironmonger who only had fairly modern sizes - mine was fitted late 70s, I think. Went through all his old boxes, but nothing. Just then, another customer said go see Joe Smith (local plumber we all know well), his van is parked out by X. Eventually found the guy who showed me where it unscrews (thanks, Chris), then fitted a new washer, FOC. Slider now back in tank and so far, so good.

Only a very minor job, I know, but first tank I've done, although have done taps and WC cisterns. Delighted :-)

Interesting, this being a very soft water area, absolutely no scale. The end cap unscrewed by hand and the split pin just pulled out.

Reply to
Graeme

A sharp small flat screwdriver, to hook it out. Most of them are a shallow cup shape - note the correct face to face in to the valve. Any plumbers merchant will have a replacement, but might be worth buying the complete valve for what the cost.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Fixed yesterday and the good news is no overflow this morning. It was usually OK during the day, as water was being used but overnight the level crept up, and would trickle out of the overflow by morning. Fingers crossed!

Reply to
Graeme