Cold taps suddenly lose pressure, but tank in loft is full...

This morning, whilst my daughter was showering, the cold seemed to lose power, and effect the amopunt of water coming through the rose. I checked the other cold taps in the room, and the water was at a much lower pressure than usual. They are fed from the cold water tank in the loft, which is full of water. I imagine that the pipe from this tank is maybe partly blocked by something solid from this tank - maybe cacium based? Any ideas on how I might solve this problem?

Reply to
Mikeyboy

Possibly rotting bird based actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

shower and cold taps in room not actually fed from said tank, but from mains which is reduced pressure as is dug up down road due to a leak?

the setup you describe would enable a night-time glass of water to be somewhat "unfresh" having been stored in roof for ? days...

Reply to
jim

No those taps/shower are definitely fed from the tank in the loft. No birds either as the tank is fully covered!

Reply to
Mikeyboy

what's the tank made of? do you have hard water? jim

Reply to
jim

If it's a blockage then try the same way as you'd fix an airlock - garden hose connected to mains pressure one end and other end held tight against open cold bath tap. Might be worth part-emptying the loft tank first or checking the overflow can cope.

Reply to
Reentrant

in my house the kitchen tap and a few others come direct from the water mains, others come from a big water tank, and the hot water comes from a third tank.

i suggest jim experiments with various stop taps, perhaps wiring a float up and off, to find where the shower water comes from...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

1 Thanks George, but I know where the shower water comes from, it was only fitted last year! It is fed from the loft tank- as I have already said. 2 Jim, the tank is made of galvanised metal. We live in London - hard water. 3 Thanks, Reentrant, that would be quite difficult, but if its the only answer, I'll just have to bite the bullet! Any more thoughts out there?? Mike
Reply to
Mikeyboy

Modern shower mixer frequently have screen filters in them. You need to check them if the flow is poor.

On the Mira I fitted you take off the front and unscrew the filter elements using the tool supplied. YMMV.

Reply to
dennis