Andy Burns

No, its' not.

Reply to
Richard

The Shed's thataway.

------------------->

Reply to
soup

They appear to forget you can have more than one godfather and give two correct answers to choose from.

Reply to
dennis

I got answer 6 "wrong" because I applied the same logic as answer 2, which claims that "only biblical and classical names" follow this pattern, not low-names like "Richard Harris"!

Reply to
Dave W

Ditto.

I personally think that that is wrong, but there ya go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On the contrary. The radio programme that the quiz was advertising contains valuable D-I-Y advice. Listen to

"Right - thats it. Sorry...that's it. The missing or misplaced apostrophe has irritated one Bristol grammar stickler so much that he has set about correcting and cleaning up public signs in the city. He's anonymous and works in the early hours of the morning. He takes great care, working with specially designed kit, and so successful is he that shop-owners don't even notice when their signs have been put right. The BBC's West of England correspondent, Jon Kay, has been following our man as he works. This is The Apostrophiser's Tale."

Reply to
Dave W

I got 2 ?wrong?. Jesus is a perfectly good modern name (the Chef at the hostel when I was an apprentice was called that), and the biblical Jesus surely never had a crash helmet.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

On the first run through, I got all bar the last question right. On trying to take a second look, I found myself back at the beginning so answered the questions again, deciding to go with the rule in regard of using the apostrophe to pluralise single letters of the alphabet fully expecting to get a 10/10 score.

You can guess that despite the second chance, I failed to get a 'perfect ten'; 9/10! My downfall this time? Answer 2... I guess this is an example of an "edge case" where the 'correct' result is far from being 'obviously clear cut' and depends on your perception which can change in a way not unlike those optical illusions which can be interpreted one of two equally valid ways.

I'm not sure why I (now in hindsight, incorrectly) chose Jesus' the first time round when I quite clearly preferred Jesus's the second time round based on the normal rule of tagging an apostrophe after the 's'

*only* when the 's' signifies plurality. In this case, the "correct" answer implies a plurality of Jesuses even though it references only a single crash helmet which confirms contextually that it is only a singular Jesus which needs the full "apostrophe 's' treatment" as in "Jesus's crash helmet".

Apparently my first answer was judged to be correct whilst my second was judged to wrong on the basis of a "Style Guide". Two things wrong with that 'judgement' imho; the words "Style" and "Guide" neither of which should have any place in a statement attempting to lay down a clear and unambiguous rule about anything.

I wasn't going to bother doing a third run but here goes anyway...

and it's yet another "9/10 result". However, it's simply a repeat of the second run which confirms my preference for accuracy over "Style Guide" based rulings no matter their perceived popularity implied by the use of the adjective "Most". Being a 'Majority' of anything says nothing about the 'correctness' or 'truth' of any matter.

The logic used to define the use of the apostrophe in all but cases 2 and 10 is pretty clear cut. In the case of question 10, the 'exception to the rule' has a sound argument in support of the need for this exception. However, I see no justification to support any exception in question 2 as promulgated by "Most Style Guides".

Afaiac, tagging an "apostrophe s" on the end of a name which ends with a letter 's' is an entirely logical use of the "apostrophe s" to signify the possessive case regardless of whether or not the name in question is a Biblical or classic one. There are enough exceptions to the apostrophe rule without adding yet another so completely arbitrary one as this imho.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

9/10. Ner! Ner!

I got 6 'wrong':

"Incorrect. The right answer is ?I won Richard Harris?s spats at the auction.? With a singular proper noun, you add ?s to show possession."

What's that about Jesus and "Biblical or classical names"?

Reply to
Max Demian

I can nail you to a cross if you like. The walking on water thing you'll have to DIY.

Reply to
Richard