Clever fridge?

My pet ferret learned how to open the under counter fridge a few months back so I have to put something heavy against the door when he's let out for a run round the kitchen every day. However the little arse who can shift 20 times his own weight without trying hard still sometimes manages to open the door a crack which I might not spot for a while or even until the next day. When I do the fridge light is generally out and won't respond to the button so in the past I've assumed a fuse has blown and the whole fridge is dead, checked everything, found no problem and then in its own time everything starts working again ok. So I've concluded that there's an internal timer on the fridge light and if it stays on too long the system shuts it off, perhaps to avoid heating the contents. Are modern fridges really that smart?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Our one flashes the inside light and sounds a buzzer if the doors are left open for more than 2 minutes. Anything more is just a matter of programming. Bloody annoying it can be, too, if you are shifting stuff around in there.

Reply to
Davey

Re the ferret problem, suggest you deploy a child safety catch to avoid recurrence. Google for "fridge door child lock" brings up several relevant hits.

Reply to
nemo

How about a Google for "fridge door ferret lock"?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

First hit is for bungee strap :-)

Reply to
fred

In article , Davey writes

Sounds interesting, which make & model?

Reply to
fred

Put a fox in the salad tray of the fridge.

Reply to
ARW

Saw someone walking a ferret on a lead through the town centre whilst shopping a few Saturdays ago. Not seen that before. Thought the risk of someone stepping on it was not insignificant.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just following the thread. About 25 years ago my father told me of an elderly man he met on the IoW, Ventnor I recall. This chap was accompanied by a dog fox. Fox not on a lead or leash but well trained. My father's two collies were more agitated than the fox. Still have a photo of the five of them... somewhere. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Our Indesit fridge freezer has that alarm system - but only on the fridge bit. No light in the freezer bit at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I hope so. Years ago I noticed that the fridge in my then GF's house was running too much. I'd changed the door around so that it opened the way she wanted and the actuation of the light was very marginal - OK one way but intermittent the other. No adjustment, so a bit of something about a mm thick - job done. A fridge compressor can't handle any additional load worth speaking of, so a

10W lamp...
Reply to
PeterC

Yes, the 15W lamp got stuck on it my brother's fridge, which caused the internal temperature to rise to 35C. Not a nice smell... It's a fanned frost free model, and it might be that it won't run the fan (and hence won't even try to cool) if it thinks the door is open.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would if I saw it.

Bill